Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Donors to give US$1b: Official




Donors to give US$1b: Official

Donors to give US$1b: Official

FOREIGN donors have promised nearly US$1 billion in aid for the coming year, a senior government official close to the process said Thursday, despite expectations that donors would reduce contributions in the face of the global economic crisis. Last year donors pledged $690 million.

"As far as I know, donors will pledge close to $1 billion because the government has done good work," Hang Chuon Naron, secretary general for the Finance Ministry, told the Post  Thursday, a day ahead of the expected official announcement.

At the same time, donor groups called for better prioritising of public spending.

Addressing the government's plan to double its military spending to $500 million in 2009, John Nelmes, head of the International Monetary Fund in Cambodia, said: "Military spending should be targeted on critical needs to avoid limiting funding to other key areas".

And Qimiao Fan, World Bank country manager, pressed the government to pass an anti-corruption law that has been delayed for more than a decade.

"Passing the law will be an important signal, providing investors and development partners with confidence to make more long-term commitments in Cambodia."

Related Story

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old