Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Doubts cast on more Nauru refugee arrivals

Doubts cast on more Nauru refugee arrivals

Participants at a vigil in Australia on Wednesday observe a minute silence for two refugees who set themselves on fire on Nauru. AFP
Participants at a vigil in Australia on Wednesday observe a minute silence for two refugees who set themselves on fire on Nauru. AFP

Doubts cast on more Nauru refugee arrivals

Cambodian immigration authorities yesterday confirmed they were told two new refugees on Nauru had volunteered to re-settle in the Kingdom, but as the Australian government remained tight-lipped, refugee advocates cast doubt on the news.

Tan Sovichea, refugee director of the Interior Ministry’s immigration department, said the Australian government informed them of two potential new arrivals last month, although no official paperwork had been received.

But Sovichea said after recent cases of self-immolation on Nauru, the Australian government was “now very quiet”. Iranian refugee Omid Masoumali died last Friday and Somali woman Hodan Yasi was left in a critical condition on Monday after both set themselves on fire.

One refugee on Nauru, who asked to remain anonymous, said they were unaware of anyone who had put up their hand for the scheme. “No, there is no one willing to go to Cambodia. I am 100 per cent sure about this,” they said.

An Australian department of immigration spokesman would not confirm if they had notified the Cambodian authorities of two new transferees, but reiterated that both nations “remain committed” to the deal.

Refugee Action Coalition spokesman Ian Rintoul said the notion was “pretty doubtful”, despite the “complete social meltdown” on Nauru.

Mohammed Rashid, a Rohingya refugee who transferred to Cambodia under the scheme in November, said yesterday he would not advise anyone to follow in his footsteps.

Three of five refugees to come to Cambodia under the $A55 million scheme have returned to their home countries.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM Hun Sen says dangers averted

    Delivering a campaign speech from his home via Facebook Live on Thursday, caretaker Prime Minister Hun Sen said his Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) had carried the country through danger in its latest mandate. He was specifically referring to the threat of a “colour revolution”

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • Bumpy road for local ride apps

    Ride-hailing services seem to have grown into a dominant player in the capital’s transportation sector. Relatively unknown and little used in the Kingdom at the beginning of this year, services like PassApp, Grab and ExNet are now commonplace on Phnom Penh streets. However, the

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition