Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dozens of hectares of state land illegally grabbed in Mondulkiri

Dozens of hectares of state land illegally grabbed in Mondulkiri

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Dozens of hectares of state land were illegally grabbed in Mondulkiri province. Post Staff

Dozens of hectares of state land illegally grabbed in Mondulkiri

Dozens of hectares of state land in Mondulkiri province have been grabbed illegally, provincial Forestry Administration deputy director Saro Ratana told The Post on Sunday.

The pine farm where the land grabbing has taken place covers 225ha in Pou Hyam village in O’Raing district’s Sen Monorom commune.

Ratana said the farm has been registered in the inventory of the provincial Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries department, so the Forestry Administration has an obligation to manage and protect the land.

But with land prices soaring, he said, some opportunists have secretly planted posts and cleared the land without authorisation.

Ratana said that on Thursday, his team cooperated with the O’Raing district military unit and local authorities to inspect the area and witnessed land encroachment happening in four locations.

“During the inspection, which was conducted over a few days, we discovered four cases in the pine farm. Though we have not measured the site, we estimate that it is not less than 50ha of land,” he said.

Ratana said his team is attempting to identify those responsible in order to prepare a lawsuit for the court to take further action against them.

Sen Monorom commune chief Thvan Trel told The Post on Sunday that none of the residents of her village had grabbed land in the area, and she does not know where the perpetrators come from.

“The land that has been grabbed is very large. It is at least 3ha or more in one place, so our villagers are not capable of doing that. Still, I don’t know where the perpetrators came from either,” she said.

Some local people said the case might escalate into a new land dispute if experts and relevant authorities do not take measures to prevent the clearing and seize the land back as state property.

Pou Hyam village chief Nhang Myok said that in the past, he had seen workers planting posts around the land in the area, but he and other villagers did not realise that the posts were being planted privately and illegally.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen defends decision to dock Westerdam cruise ship

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Thursday hit back at critics who say he allowed the Westerdam cruise ship to dock in Sihanoukville for political reasons. Speaking at an annual gathering of the Ministry of Interior, Hun Sen said he acted to avert a humanitarian catastrophe

  • Cool heads will defeat Covid-19

    Since Covid-19 was first reported as a world health issue, cruise ships have been the worst to suffer after airlines. The experiences of those who were initially trapped on the Covid-19-stricken Diamond Princess are unimaginable. The cruise ship was rejected from docking at one

  • Westerdam passenger ‘never had’ Covid-19

    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the US citizen that allegedly tested positive in Malaysia after travelling on the Westerdam was never infected with Covid-19 in the first place. In an article published in the newspaper USA Today on Friday, CDC

  • ‘Ghost staff’ found, $1.7M returned to state coffers

    The Ministry of Civil Service said more than seven billion riel ($1.7 million) in salaries for civil servants was returned to the state last year after it discovered that the books had been cooked to pay ‘ghost officials’. This is despite claims by the Ministry of

  • Affordable housing project in Kandal nearing completion

    Worldbridge Homes Co Ltd’s $73 million affordable housing project in Kandal province’s Koh Kor village, in Sa’ang district, is on track to be completed at year’s end or at the beginning of next year, its general manager Yuk Sothirith told The Post

  • Crimes up with 211 deaths, influx of foreigners to blame

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng on Wednesday said crimes increased by eight per cent last year, resulting in 211 deaths. He revealed the figures during the ministry’s 2019 review and laid the blame for the increase on an influx of foreigners into the Kingdom. “The crime