Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dreamland park staff seek payouts




Dreamland park staff seek payouts

Former Dreamland employees hold a demonstration outside the closed amusement park in Phnom Penh yesterday.
Former Dreamland employees hold a demonstration outside the closed amusement park in Phnom Penh yesterday. Hong Menea

Dreamland park staff seek payouts

Former Dreamland employees protested outside the recently closed amusement park yesterday to demand the company pay them entitlements owed under the Labour Law.

Nearly 100 employees gathered for an hour in the morning until they were notified that the company was willing to negotiate.

A 50-year-old man, who only identified himself as “S 11”, and who used to be the head of security at the park, said the workers had filed a request for compensation on February 29, and had received no response.

“I asked the company to resolve the problem by offering compensation based on the Labour Law,” he said.

Moeun Tola, executive director for the rights group Central, said according to the law, the employers had to notify their workers of termination and pay severance, outstanding wages and annual leave and damages for contract terminations.

For severance pay, the employer has to pay 5 per cent of an employee’s annual salary for each year worked.

Dreamland representative Chhor Vion said all workers were notified in advance that their last day would be on February 29 and received their last paycheck on that day.

He added that the company had offered employees an additional month’s salary but would continue negotiations until both sides were satisfied.

The company closed the park when its lease expired. The site’s owner has released plans for a 133-storey twin-towered commercial building.

Vong Sovann, deputy secretary-general of the Labour Ministry’s strike settlement committee, said if experts found the company did not comply with the Labour Law, the case would go to the Arbitration Council.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped