Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Drug charge earns 30 years



Drug charge earns 30 years

Nigerian national Ukachi Onyinye John
Nigerian national Ukachi Onyinye John, 38, is escorted though Phnom Penh Municipal Court by authorities yesterday. Buth Reaksmey Kongkea

Drug charge earns 30 years

A Nigerian national alleged to have smuggled nearly 3 kilograms of methamphetamine through Phnom Penh International Airport was convicted yesterday following his arrest in June, according to court officials.

John Onyinye Ukachi, 38, was sentenced to 30 years in prison and fined 100 million riel [$25,000] by Phnom Penh Municipal Court for international drug trafficking and transport, in violation of Article 40 of the Kingdom’s anti-drug laws, said judge Chea Sok Heang.

Ukachi was arrested by anti-drug authorities on June 8, after flying from Nigeria through Singapore en route to Cambodia, according to Sok Heang, and tried by the court on December 20.

Following the arrest, 2.7 kilograms of methamphetamines hidden in the suspect’s luggage were confiscated by authorities, Sok Heang added.

“The convicted person has the right to appeal to the Court of Appeal within 30 days if he does not accept the court’s decision.”

The accused could not be reached for comment yesterday, but his defence lawyer, Ou Vuth, characterised the sentence against his client as extreme.

“My client does not accept the court’s decision because both his punishment and fine is too heavy. To find justice, he will file his appeal to the Appeal Court soon,” Vuth told the Post yesterday, adding that his client had been set up by a friend who had asked him to deliver the luggage to an unidentified man in Phnom Penh.

Major General Sok Chour, spokesman for the Ministry of Interior’s anti-drug department could not be reached for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting