Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Duch accuses Nuon Chea of exaggerating confessions

Duch accuses Nuon Chea of exaggerating confessions

Kaing Guek Eav prepares to continue his testimony at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia during case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea yesterday. ECCC
Kaing Guek Eav prepares to continue his testimony at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia during case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea yesterday. ECCC

Duch accuses Nuon Chea of exaggerating confessions

Former Khmer Rouge second-in-command and current Case 002 defendant Nuon Chea was known to exaggerate confessions extracted from Vietnamese prisoners of war for propaganda broadcasts, the former chief of the notorious S-21 prison told the Khmer Rouge tribunal yesterday.

S-21 warden Kaing Guek Eav, better known as Duch, told the court the main point of torturing and interrogating Vietnamese prisoners was so they would confess to invading Cambodia. Their voices were recorded and broadcasted, but not before going under the editorial eye of Chea – who is facing charges of crimes against humanity, including genocide.

“He only made minor changes,” Duch said; for example, the number of firearms a Vietnamese troop confessed to bringing into Cambodia would jump from 15 to 20.

Duch was at pains to point out that “only very few” prisoners were Vietnamese civilians, but he ultimately conceded: “In principle, both civilians and soldiers had to be smashed.”

Duch – who still keeps the case file from his trial, including a list of 11,000 names of S-21 prisoners, in the Takhmao cell where he is serving a life sentence – requested information about the court’s updated list, which swelled to include 15,000 names after investigations into Cases 003 and 004.

One of the only survivors from that list, Chum Mey, gave recent testimony about the torture he suffered, such as toenail extraction and electrocution of the earlobe. “[My deputy] Hor told me that toenails were pulled off, and at the time I instructed him – I was serious about that – and I instructed him to stop that kind of practice,” Duch said.

“I authorised the electrocution, but I strictly forbade them to let any prisoner die.”

Under questioning by the prosecution, Duch said that there were no funeral rites for the smashed. “For prisoners at the time, they were buried in graves. That was against the tradition and our customs.”

Duch also elaborated on questions put to him by civil party lawyers last week, when he said Nuon Chea had ordered that four Western prisoners be burned to ash under car tyres in the street.

The prosecution is expected to probe Duch further today on a meeting he had with Case 002 co-accused and former head of state Khieu Samphan.

Meanwhile, the tribunal has received an injection of SEK 28 million (about $3.4 million) from the government of Sweden to fund the international legal costs over the next four years until 2019, it was announced last Friday.

A previous version of this article misstated the size of Sweden's contribution to the Khmer Rouge tribunal. It is $3.4 million, not $9.97 million. The Post apologises for any confusion caused.

MOST VIEWED

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • Quarantine still a must for all arrivals, in next Covid chapter

    Since early May, an average of five to 10 Cambodian people have died from Covid-19 a day with many others testing positive amid the ongoing community outbreak. At the same time, however, hundreds of patients also recovered a day. The first Covid-19 case in Cambodia was

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • Jab drive heading to 5 provinces

    The government is set to vaccinate more than 1.2 million people in five provinces after finishing with Phnom Penh and neighbouring Kandal in an ongoing campaign administered by the ministries of Health and National Defence. The five provinces are Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Speu, Takeo, Kampong Cham

  • New immigration bill targets illegal foreigners in Kingdom

    General Department of Immigration (GDI) officials are discussing revisions to the new draft law on immigration to prevent foreigners from entering Cambodia illegally and to supervise those living in the Kingdom more effectively. The revisions draw wide support among civil society organisations. GDI director-general Kirth

  • First commercial gold mine online

    Australian miner Renaissance Minerals (Cambodia) Ltd on June 21 began the commercial operation of its $120 million Okvau Gold Project in the northeastern province of Mondulkiri, becoming the Kingdom’s first gold producer. Located in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province’s Keo Seima district, the