Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Duch launches appeal

Duch launches appeal

Duch launches appeal

Defence calls for release of former prison chief

LAWYERS for former Tuol Sleng prison chief Kaing Guek Eav formally announced yesterday that they would appeal last month’s verdict at the Khmer Rouge tribunal, saying the case of the infamous jailer, better known as Duch, falls outside the court’s jurisdiction.

The appeal notice said the court had practised “victors’ justice” and failed “to demonstrate why it was convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that the Prosecution evidence on which it relied proved that the Accused fell under its personal jurisdiction”.

“In reality, in light of his official functions at the relevant time, the Accused does not fit into the category of persons under the jurisdiction of the [tribunal],” the defence said.

The agreement between Cambodia and the United Nations that established the tribunal limits prosecutions to “senior leaders of Democratic Kampuchea and those who were most responsible” for crimes committed under the regime. In its verdict on July 26, the court found Duch guilty of crimes against humanity and grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions, sentencing him to 30 years in prison.

The defence made little mention of the jurisdictional issue during hearings last year prior to closing arguments, when defence lawyer Kar Savuth abandoned his team’s strategy of pushing for a lenient sentence and instead argued that the court had no right to try Duch in the first place.

“Duch has been detained for 10 years,” Kar Savuth said at the time. “Other chiefs of prisons have not been detained, so I think it is an appropriate time for the chamber to release my client and allow him to go home.”

In last month’s judgment, the Trial Chamber dismissed this challenge on the grounds that it was not raised at the outset of proceedings as required by the court’s internal rules. Kar Savuth mentioned the issue on the third day of substantive hearings, but clarified that day that he did not intend to make a formal challenge to the court’s jurisdiction.

In any case, the Trial Chamber ultimately ruled that Duch was one of those “most responsible” for Khmer Rouge crimes. At Tuol Sleng, he was tasked with “carrying out nation-wide operations and receiving high-level cadres and prominent detainees”, the verdict said.

Nearly all of the perhaps 16,000 prisoners held at Tuol Sleng were eventually executed.

Michelle Staggs Kelsall, a trial monitor with the Asian International Justice Initiative, said the defence challenge to the court’s jurisdiction was “highly unusual”.

“Given the lack of success to date, it seems unlikely that the appeals chamber will agree with this argument,” she said.

The defence’s notice of appeal against the judgment follows that of the prosecutors, who earlier this month described Duch’s 30-year prison term as “arbitrary and manifestly inadequate”.

MOST VIEWED

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • Shipwreck found off coast of Koh Kong

    Royal Cambodian Navy researchers are working to identify a decades-old shipwreck found earlier this month off the coast of Koh Kong province. Divers found the 70-metre-long wreck on April 4 about a mile from Koh Chhlam island, according to Navy officials. Deputy Navy Commander Tea Sokha,