Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Duch prosecutors appeal against ‘inadequate’ term

Duch prosecutors appeal against ‘inadequate’ term

Duch prosecutors appeal against ‘inadequate’ term

PROSECUTORS at the Khmer Rouge tribunal will appeal against the jail sentence handed down last month against Tuol Sleng prison chief Kaing Guek Eav, joining the chorus of victims who believe the 35-year term is unacceptably short.

In a statement released yesterday, co-prosecutors said the judgment against the accused, better known as Duch, gave “insufficient weight to the gravity of Duch’s crimes and his role and his willing participation in those crimes”.

Mitigating circumstances, including Duch’s expressions of remorse during the trial and his cooperation with the court, were given undue weight in the sentencing, the prosecutors said.

“The co-prosecutors submit that the sentence imposed on Duch is arbitrary and manifestly inadequate and fell outside the range of sentences available to the Trial Chamber in the circumstances,” the notice said.

International co-prosecutor Andrew Cayley yesterday asked for patience from those upset by the brevity of Duch’s sentence.

“We are listening to them and we are doing everything we can within the limits of the law to express their desires before the court,” Cayley said.
Prosecutors requested during closing arguments in November that Duch be given a 40-year jail term.

Chum Mey, 79, a civil party in Case 001 and one of the few survivors of Tuol Sleng prison, said he was thankful that the prosecutors were pursuing a longer jail term for Duch. With credit for time served, the Khmer Rouge jailer stands to spend just 19 more years in prison, and could walk free if he survives to age 86.

“I applaud the prosecutors for filing an appeal on behalf of the victims.... Nineteen more years in jail for Duch cannot be accepted.”

Because prosecutors have appealed, the 66 civil parties whose claims were accepted in the judgment can now appeal against the court’s decision on reparations. The judges granted requests from the accepted civil parties that their names be included in the final judgment and that the court compile and publish all statements of apology made by Duch during the trial.

Other requests, such as calls for a memorial stupa or monetary compensation, were rejected because they either lacked specificity or were beyond the scope of possible reparation options available under the court’s jurisdiction.

“We are still in the process of examining the judgment, [and] if there are grounds for appeal against the reparation order,” said Silke Studzinsky, one of a number of civil-party lawyers.

Duch’s attorneys also plan to challlenge the judgment, though they have yet to formally file an appeal notice.

Defence lawyer Kang Ritheary said yesterday that his team would make its filing soon and argue that Duch’s relatively low rank within the regime put him outside the court’s mandate.

Under court rules, the prosecutors now have an additional 60 days to formally file their appeal.

Cayley said he expected that the appeal hearings, to be held before the Supreme Court Chamber, would be open to the public.


  • Kak Channthy, Cambodian Space Project frontwoman, killed in crash at 38 [Updated]

    Updated 5:05pm, Tuesday, March 20, 2018 Kak Channthy, frontwoman of popular The Cambodian Space Project, was killed Tuesday morning in a traffic accident in Phnom Penh. She was 38. Channthy, the internationally recognised singer-songwriter also known as “Srey Thy”, was reportedly travelling in a tuk-tuk on the city's

  • Australians protest Asean summit visit by PM Hun Sen

    Hundreds of protesters gathered in Sydney’s Hyde Park on Friday to protest against Cambodian strongman Hun Sen, who claimed to have been gifted millions of dollars by the Australian government ahead of a special Asean summit this weekend. An estimated 300 protesters, the majority of

  • One Australian, one Cambodian killed in explosion at military base

    Updated: 5:20pm, Friday 16 March 2018 An Australian tourist and a Cambodian soldier were killed in an explosion on Thursday afternoon at an army base in Cambodia’s Kampong Speu province. The Australian, whom the government initially identified as a technical demining expert in his 40s, and

  • Peeling back layers of prehistory in Battambang

    When the man passed away, he had not yet reached 50. He belonged to a tribe that had settled near the Sangker River in Battambang province, likely cultivating the fields and raising animals. On the side, they hunted for boars, and even turtles, one of which