Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Duo tells court they weren’t involved in the theft of relic

Duo tells court they weren’t involved in the theft of relic

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities and monks gather around the stolen golden relic from Oudong Mountain and other seized items at a police station in Kandal province in 2014. Photo supplied

Duo tells court they weren’t involved in the theft of relic

Two of seven convicts are appealing against their seven-year jail sentence for stealing a holy relic and 10 Buddha replicas in 2013 at Oudong Mountain in Kandal province’s Ponhear Leu district, on grounds that they are not guilty.

Chom Thai, 62, and Sieng Sarin, 58, are now having their appeal heard at the Supreme Court.

Thai said during Wednesday’s hearing that he had served as a security guard on the mountain since 2002 and cleaned the stupa every week, respecting the Buddha’s relic. However, the court charged him as an accomplice, although he has consistently denied being involved.

He told the judge that before the theft occurred, on December 10, 2013, he swept and cleaned the surrounding areas and saw that the lock to the room where the relic was kept was intact with nothing amiss.

Thai then went home to sleep, even though he should have been working. Around midnight, one of his colleagues informed him the lock had been broken and that the relic was stolen.

“I admit that the relic disappeared. [But] I have filed an appeal to the Supreme Court because I have not committed [any crime]. The court should free me,” Thai said.

Sarin, meanwhile, told the judge that he had also served as a guard, working there since 2006. On the day in question, he worked with the police to find the relic and Buddha replicas but was arrested anyway.

“I have not committed any crime. During the inspection of my house, police did not find the relic or any of the replicas. I didn’t know who the thieves were,” Sarin said.

Prosecutor Veng Buntheoun said the convicts had cooperated with authorities throughout the investigation and trial, and that the court should consider reducing the sentence meted out on five of them.

“I ask the presiding council to consider the punishment [meted on the convicts] because Keo Raksmey [another convict] is the perpetrator, and the court has given all six of them the same seven-year jail sentence,” he said.

Chheang Vantha, the defence lawyer for the two, said Raksmey, 24, admitted at the initial trial at Kandal Provincial Court in 2015 that he was the one who stole the Buddha replicas and relic, and that he acted alone.

Raksmey admitted, Vantha said, that he knew the Buddha replicas were made of gold, so he stole them along with the relic. Police later searched Raksmey’s house and found some stolen items, and found that he had bought a car with the proceeds of the crime.

“The gold covering those Buddha replicas was melted down and sold. He bought a car worth about $30,000 and spent about $50,000 in total. Both my clients had nothing to do with the crime. They are not involved. The presiding council should free them,” he said.

The relic and 10 replicas disappeared from the mountain on December 9, 2013. The Kandal provincial police force launched an investigation and later arrested four guards and one villager, Raksmey, on December 10.

The three other convicts judged to be involved in the theft apart from Raksmey, Thai and Sarin are Pha Sokhem, 59; Ka Sat, 46; and Kan Sopheak, 39. Sokhem died in prison in 2015 from a health condition.

After the investigation, on February 6, 2014, the authorities found the missing relic at Raksmey’s home in Takeo province’s Trang district, having already discovered the fate of the replicas.

A woman, Sieng Saret, 39, a jewellery seller at Prey Sandek Market in Trang district, was also arrested and the court sentenced her to two years in prison for buying the gold from Raksmey.

Kandal Provincial Court declared its verdict on August 27, 2015, sentencing all the accused to seven years in jail and fined eight million riel ($2,000) on the charge of stealing religious relics with aggravating circumstances.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Snaring may spawn diseases

    The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has warned that snaring of animals has become a crisis that poses a serious risk to wildlife in Southeast Asia and could spawn the transmission of zoonotic diseases to humans. Its July 9 report entitled Silence of the Snares: Southeast Asia’

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Kingdom produces PPE gear

    Medical supplies from Cambodia have been donated to member countries of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to assist in the fight against Covid-19, said an ADB report published on July 9. The report stated that the supplies were donated as a response to global efforts to

  • Kingdom, US vow stronger ties

    At an academic forum on Saturday to celebrate 70 years of Cambodia-US diplomatic ties, Cambodian researchers and officials expressed hope of encouraging US investments and for that country to deepen and improve its bilateral relations. Held at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, it reviewed the past 70

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The