Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dutch pedo deported to be jailed in Belgium



Dutch pedo deported to be jailed in Belgium

Convicted Dutch pedophile Pieter Ceulen (right) arrives at the Phnom Penh airport ahead of his deportation last night.
Convicted Dutch pedophile Pieter Ceulen (right) arrives at the Phnom Penh airport ahead of his deportation last night. Heng Chivoan

Dutch pedo deported to be jailed in Belgium

Convicted Dutch pedophile Pieter Ceulen yesterday left Phnom Penh on a 7:30pm flight for Bangkok, according to Hank Werston, the Dutch police liaison officer who was to accompany him on the flight.

From Bangkok, Ceulen is scheduled to take a direct flight to Belgium, according to Child Protection Unit (CPU) director James McCabe. Once in Belgium, he will begin serving a 19-year prison sentence for a hideous catalogue of child sexual abuse across several countries.

Ceulen’s deportation was touch and go for a while, with a crucial signature missing from his paperwork until roughly an hour before he was scheduled to fly, according to Werston.

On January 21, an Antwerp court found Ceulen guilty of a string of child pornography production and sexual abuse offences committed in Cambodia and the Philippines, some against his own foster children.

That same day, Ceulen’s neighbours saw him arrive at his villa in Siem Reap. He had been allowed to leave Belgium while on trial thanks to an administrative error at court.

After nearly a month and a half on the run, Ceulen turned himself in at a Phnom Penh police station on March 10.

Cambodia does not have an extradition treaty with Belgium. Local media reported that officials considered trying him in a Cambodian court for the crimes he committed in the Kingdom, although finally it was decided he should serve the sentence handed to him in Antwerp.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through