Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ECCC resignations spell trouble for victims' justice



ECCC resignations spell trouble for victims' justice

ECCC resignations spell trouble for victims' justice

Dear Editor,

I read today that Robert Petit, international co-prosecutor at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC), has resigned from his post due to "personal and family reasons". This year has gotten off to a bad start for Cambodian survivors keenly watching the Khmer Rouge tribunal. Earlier in 2009, the ECCC public affairs officer left his position at the tribunal. Soon after, the ECCC's director and deputy of the Victims' Unit resigned within months of each other, one for a post at the International Criminal Court. These departures have further strained the already beleaguered Victims Unit. Now, the ECCC's [international co-prosecutor] has resigned. One wonders what will come next.

Survivors have been encouraged to participate in a process that promises to give them a voice in the legal process. Yet the very structures that exist to support their participation suffer from a striking absence of continuity and institutional memory. As things stand, much has been promised but little delivered.

I recall reading an article in your paper titled "Petit on the ‘ultimate crime'" (July 13-26, 2007). In that interview, Petit emphasised that the "primary focus" of tribunals like the ECCC is to "render justice". These refrains have been sung before. In an interview three years ago, just before he began his work at the ECCC, Petit said that the principle behind all tribunals remained the same. "The pressure is the same in that you have a responsibility to represent the voices, to represent the victims" (June 28, 2006, Embassy Magazine). How can this work of representing survivors be adequately performed when people with several years of expertise regarding the case and its intricacies leave the court before the first trial has even concluded?

While I do not question the personal reasons behind these rapid and successive resignations, those of us who have worked in Cambodia wonder what impact they will have on Cambodian survivors of mass crimes. Most recently, Petit repeated that victims are not just "the witness of history; they are also judges" (The Phnom Penh Post, January 19, 2009). If so, I wonder how Petit and other foreign officials at the ECCC who seem to move swiftly from one tribunal to the next will be judged by the survivors to whom they have promised so much.

 
Vinita Ramani Mohan

Singapore

Send letters to: [email protected] or PO Box 146, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The Post reserves the right to edit letters to a shorter length.
The views expressed above are solely the author's and do not reflect any positions taken by The Phnom Penh Post.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and