Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Education official out after arrest in South Korea



Education official out after arrest in South Korea

Education Ministry official Kry Seang Long, who was fined by South Korean authorities for molestation of his translator, takes a selfie earlier this month on his way to Seoul. Facebook
Education Ministry official Kry Seang Long, who was fined by South Korean authorities for molestation of his translator, takes a selfie earlier this month on his way to Seoul. Facebook

Education official out after arrest in South Korea

A senior Education Ministry official, arrested for sexually harassing an interpreter while representing the government at an international conference in South Korea, has had his post terminated, the ministry announced yesterday.

In a statement, the Education Ministry said Kry Seang Long was relegated and is no longer director of the Vocational Orientation Department.

Officials, however, could not be reached to confirm whether Long was still employed by the ministry or the state.

According to Korean news reports, the 44-year-old Cambodian official was arrested by police on May 26 for attempting to grope and kiss an interpreter in Seoul’s Guro-Gu district.

Long, who was attending the three-day 2016 ASEAN+3 Human Resource Development forum between May 23 and 25, was released after paying a fine of 5 million won (about $4,300), according to a report by News 1 Korea, which also added that prosecutors have moved to see the official banned from the country.

Speaking by phone yesterday, a Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency official confirmed Seang Long’s arrest was related to a suspected sexual assault case but declined to comment further.

According to a letter written by Cambodian Ambassador to South Korea Long Dimanche, reported by the Cambodia Daily, the Education Ministry shelled out more than $12,000 to secure his release, including compensation to the victim and legal fees.

In its statement yesterday, the ministry said it had only loaned the money to Seang Long, who has since repaid the cash.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting