Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Eight charged over grenade, 2015 shooting

Eight charged over grenade, 2015 shooting

Suspects in a Phnom Penh grenade attack are guarded by authorities at the Ministry of Interior last week during a press conference.
Suspects in a Phnom Penh grenade attack are guarded by authorities at the Ministry of Interior last week during a press conference. Mech Dara

Eight charged over grenade, 2015 shooting

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has charged eight individuals, including three Vietnamese nationals, for their alleged parts in the September 6 grenade attack on Phnom Penh’s Street 163 and a separate, but related, shooting from 2015.

Sok Kimly, a Cambodian national initially identified as Vietnamese, was charged on Saturday for allegedly masterminding the attempted murder of Ea Lyhour on two occasions – an attempted shooting in September 2015, and the Boeung Keng Kang III commune grenade attack this month.

Despite there being no deaths in the grenade attack, Kimly, Nou Samban, Sak Mab, Bun Pheakdey and his wife, Bou Sopheap, were charged on Saturday with premeditated murder, with officials declining to discuss reasons for the charge.

Three Vietnamese nationals – Chang Thi Ve, Le Dang Dong and Ni Soi Binh – were charged on Friday with attempted murder for the failed shooting of Lyhour – a resident of Street 163. All suspects have been sent to pre-trial detention.

At a press conference on Friday, National Police chief Chhoun Sovann did not elaborate on Kimly’s motivation to kill Lyhour, adding that it was a “case of revenge” and that authorities were on the lookout for other suspects.

Ngeng Chuo, deputy chief of the Ministry of Interior’s penal police, said after the failed attempt to kill Lyhour last year, Kimly again plotted to kill him using a grenade, adding it was Mab who had dropped the explosive.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy lands in Malaysia

    Cambodian opposition figure Sam Rainsy arrived in Kuala Lumpur airport on Saturday afternoon after boarding a flight from Paris, where he has been living for more than four years. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesperson Koy Kuong said on Saturday that Cambodia respected

  • Touch: Rainsy will never return

    Sam Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), has claimed it has achieved 70 per cent of its struggle to find a solution to the current political situation in the Kingdom. Just before boarding a plane at Charles de Gaulle

  • Sokha continues call for dropping of charge after bail conditions reduced

    Not satisfied with having his bail conditions reduced, allowing him to travel freely in Cambodia, Kem Sokha says he wants his charge totally dropped. “As an innocent man who has been in detention for two years even without being found guilty, I continue to demand

  • MEPs' call for Rainsy's safety not European Parliament position

    The European Parliament said on Friday that a statement by 56 Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) calling for guarantees of Sam Rainsy’s freedom and safety should he return to Cambodia did not represent its position. Delphine Colard, the European Parliament’s press officer told

  • Sar Kheng: Rainsy return not blocked

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng clarified that Cambodia had never blocked Sam Rainsy from returning to the Kingdom. However, he said Cambodia reserved the right to take legal action as allowed by law against activities aimed at destroying the Kingdom. “No one blocked the return

  • Cambodia celebrates 66th Independence Day

    Cambodia on Saturday celebrated Independence Day to mark the end of French colonial rule under the leadership of King Father Norodom Sihanouk in 1953. Thousands of people from all walks of life watched King Norodom Sihamoni light the victory flame at Independence Monument to mark the 66