Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ELC firms called to court over illegal timber



ELC firms called to court over illegal timber

Authorities inspect timber in Kratie province earlier this year during an ongoing crackdown on logging. In the last two weeks seven companies have been summonsed in relation to illegal logging. Photo supplied
Authorities inspect timber in Kratie province earlier this year during an ongoing crackdown on logging. In the last two weeks seven companies have been summonsed in relation to illegal logging. Photo supplied

ELC firms called to court over illegal timber

Prosecutors in Kratie, Mondulkiri and Ratanakkiri provinces yesterday said they have summonsed seven companies and nine individuals to provincial courts to answer about illegal timber found in their possession during a nationwide logging crackdown.

The summonses were issued over the past two weeks. The companies – two in Kratie and five in Mondulkiri – are mostly from China and Vietnam and control thousands of hectares in economic land concessions.

Some had been linked with illegal logging even before this year’s crackdown. After the recent sweeps, which some environmental activists insist have been largely for show, some were accused of setting their wood on fire to destroy evidence.

“Some companies had answered, while others have not yet,” said Meas Bros, chief of administration at Mondulkiri Provincial Court.

Mondulkiri deputy prosecutor So Sovithya said companies that have not come in yet include Unigreen Resource, a Chinese ELC, and Binh Phuoc, a subsidiary of Vietnam Rubber Group. They are due in court next week.

Communities living near Binh Phuoc’s ELC have long accused the concession of laundering illegal wood felled outside its boundaries, arguing that wealthy businessman Soeng Sam Ol, one of the earliest targets of the crackdown, is the timber’s main buyer.

Eng Hy, spokesman for the committee tasked with the crackdown, said his team had investigated charred logs on Binh Phuoc property in January that rights group Adhoc said were burned just before authorities arrived.

Unigreen Resource had 600 of 1,000 logs inside its ELC consumed in a fire, according to deputy Forestry Administration chief Prom Sovanna. Timber tycoon Try Pheap publicly distanced himself from Unigreen in February amid rumours of his involvement in its logging.

In Kratie, China Dynamic Investments and C & V Group, which share Chinese and Cambodian investors, were called in to explain thousands of logs that had been found on their ELCs in January.

Both firms appeared in court last week and denied the wood belonged to them. Prosecutors plan to call in witnesses to testify next week, but did not say who the witnesses are or how many will come.

“We have problems that authorities and experts had reported . . . but the company denied that the wood belongs to them,” said Kratie deputy prosecutor Hak Horn.

In Ratanakkiri, meanwhile, provincial deputy prosecutor Mam Vanda said that nine individuals were summonsed for transporting and stockpiling illegal wood in the forest.

He did not say whether any have appeared in court yet.

Binh Phuoc, Unigreen, China Dynamic and C & V did not respond to requests for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said