Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Embalming chemical found in Takeo prahok



Embalming chemical found in Takeo prahok

An official inspects contaminated prahok yesterday in Takeo province before it was destroyed by authorities. Photo supplied
An official inspects contaminated prahok yesterday in Takeo province before it was destroyed by authorities. Photo supplied

Embalming chemical found in Takeo prahok

Takeo provincial authorities yesterday confiscated and destroyed more than 180 kilograms of contaminated prahok from four production sites, according to an official with the Cambodia Import-Export Inspection and Fraud Repression Directorate-General (CAMCONTROL).

Pao Leangkong, who heads CAMCONTROL’s branch in Takeo, said officials had inspected six sites after hearing reports from citizens and in the media about suspicious fish paste. At four sites officials found prahok that had been contaminated with formalin, a common embalming agent. However, he denied local media reports that officials had confiscated more than 1 tonne of prahok.

“It was just 183 kilograms,” he said. “They produced it in Traing district’s Angkanh commune, but they imported the fish from Vietnam. In four of the six production places we found the chemical substance formalin, which is usually applied to preserve dead bodies.”

The four sites were warned to stop using smuggled fish, Leangkong said, and officials planned to call the heads of the production sites for a meeting later today. He said the fish had been smuggled from Vietnam using illegal routes, particularly in Borei Cholsar district.

Ban Touch, a military police officer based in Borei Cholsar, said his team often arrested individuals who were importing prahok and fish illegally.

“There are many cases, but we cannot track down all of them,” he said. “They come in through illegal crossings.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Covid in Kingdom hits ‘critical point’

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia has reached a critical point, the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned, as cases surge with two more deaths and 265 infections reported over the weekend. On March 28 alone, the Ministry of Health recorded 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia set for large-scale vaccination campaign as Covid spreads

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed all provincial authorities to get ready for a large-scale vaccination campaign, with at least one million doses to be administered per month. “We will roll out at least one million doses. The vaccines we have purchased and received as

  • Covid-19 spreads in Kingdom, infects more children

    The Ministry of Health on March 28 reported another 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20 community outbreak. Among them, two are Chinese and the rest are Cambodian. Preah Sihanouk province recorded the most cases at 43, followed by the capital at 25; three each in Tbong Khmum, Svay