Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Embassy of India holds blood donation drive



Embassy of India holds blood donation drive

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Embassy of India in Phnom Penh holds a blood donation camp at its premises on Saturday. EMBASSY OF INDIA IN PHNOM PENH

Embassy of India holds blood donation drive

The Embassy of India in Phnom Penh organised a blood donation camp at its premises on Saturday, in a humanitarian initiative marking the 150th anniversary of the birth of Mahatma Gandhi.

Gandhi, the “Father of the Indian Nation”, employed non-violent resistance in a successful campaign for Indian independence from British colonial rule in the early 20th century.

The embassy said: “It is understood that Cambodian hospitals are in need of a continuous supply of blood due to the large number of unfortunate fatal accidents on Cambodian roads.

“The Embassy of India is hopeful that organising a blood donation programme will increase awareness among the public in Cambodia and encourage them to regularly donate blood to save lives and serve humanity.”

The National Blood Transfusion Centre Cambodia and the Indian Association Cambodia, a non-profit organisation involved in cultural and social activities in the Kingdom, assisted the embassy in organising the blood drive.

The essential equipment needed for blood donations, paramedics and technical staff was provided to the embassy by the National Blood Transfusion Centre. Donors were also provided with refreshments in appreciation of their efforts.

Ou Sokleang, a blood donor recruiter, told The Post on Sunday that nearly 100 participants attended the event. The donated blood will be taken to the National Blood Transfusion Centre, and then made available for transfusions.

“More than 200 patients need blood each day [in Cambodia] and we cannot meet the demand. We call on youths who are healthy to come forward to donate blood, particularly with National Independence Day and the Water Festival coming up because we need blood for incidents that take place,” he said.

Sokleang said that there is a shortage of people donating blood in the Kingdom, with currently only 35 per cent of blood used in transfusions coming from donations. The remaining 65 per cent have to be drawn from patients’ families, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from