Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Emphasise justice instead of public displays of destruction

Emphasise justice instead of public displays of destruction

Emphasise justice instead of public displays of destruction

Dear Editor,
On 20 January 2010, a local newspaper reported the crushing of 1,357 chainsaws that had been used for illegal logging and seized in Kratie. This is not the first time implements seized after a crime were destroyed in publicised events. There have been many instances whereby tools used for criminal activities, including fishing gear (ie, nets, wood, bamboo, batteries) and machinery have been crushed or burned. I cannot comprehend why it is necessary to destroy these items, which are harmless in and of themselves and hold commercial resale value. It is their incorrect usage that is harmful and must be controlled.

In my view, instead of destroying such implements, we can exploit them for legal and productive purposes so long as proper “control systems” are in place. Destroying harmless and useful items is not constructive. First, we destroy instruments that could be utilised lawfully and productively, or could be sold and the revenues used to support the poorly paid law enforcement officers involved. Second, it costs money to destroy them irrespective of the damage done to the environment as a result of their destruction.

What is the rationale behind such destruction? Does it serve as a warning that those items are illegal? If it is so, why does the government allow their importation in the first place? Is it to inform the public of the government’s performance and tough stance on crime? If so, a better way is to illustrate that perpetrators are brought to justice. Is it to prevent these tools from being used again for illegal gains? If so, it is not a proactive solution.

Chenda Keo
Australia National University

Send letters to: [email protected] or PO?Box 146, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The Post reserves the right to edit letters to a shorter length.
The views expressed above are solely the author’s and do not reflect any positions taken by The Phnom Penh Post.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman