Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Energy Minister plays down Areng concerns



Energy Minister plays down Areng concerns

Energy Minister plays down Areng concerns

Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has issued a letter to the National Assembly commission on the environment, offering assurances that the planned Stung Cheay Areng Hydropower Dam will meet high environmental and social standards.

Opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party member Te Chanmony on September 18 requested clarification over the status of the project, prompting Sem to issue the letter.

“I wrote a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen after the community and environmentalists have become increasingly worried about the loss of their traditions,” Chanmony said.

In the letter, Sem said the environmental impact assessment was not complete, but the first phase had identified hundreds of species of birds, mammals, reptiles and fish, which would need to
be relocated.

The “Areng Valley hydropower project has a capacity of up to 108 megawatts”, but will run continuously, providing more power than the Kamchay hydropower dam, even though it has a capacity of up to 194 megawatts, he wrote.

“Now the plan has been in a studying process stage, which … [will reveal the] environmental and social effect impacts.”

The Areng dam is slated to be built by the Chinese engineering giant Sinohydro Group. Months of protests against its construction have been met with frustration by officials, prompting dozens of police to detain several activists from NGO Mother Nature last month.

“When we develop each hydropower project, land and forest … needs to be preserved and reforested to keep the sustainability of the … ecological system,” Sem said in the letter.

Mother Nature founder Alex Gonzalez-Davidson said the government line was a lie, adding that an official document he had received said the impact assessment had been completed and Sinohydro intended to begin construction soon.

“I have asked the government to put off the project to study [the impacts] clearly and find out what are the costs and benefits,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said