Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Enlistment should be exclusively voluntary




Enlistment should be exclusively voluntary

Enlistment should be exclusively voluntary

Dear Editor,

A few decades ago, Cambodian civilians suffered from the civil wars, especially young Cambodian men not fit for war but forcibly conscripted by a handful of powerful leaders. As a result, millions of innocent Cambodians died, while many others – veterans and civilians alike – were maimed by landmines and infected by disease.

With regard to the article “Proposed reserve force to strengthen military” (August 2), the draft Royal decree that discusses the conscription law was passed in 2006, according to a Council of Ministers statement. The law lists a variety of prospective groups eligible for conscription, including civilians between the ages of 18 and 30.

Several years ago, the Kingdom demobilized soldiers funded by donors as hostilities ended and the country turned to internal development.

Following the flare-up over the Cambodian-Thailand border, the government began training young men from the provinces for front-line defence.

By the end of 2008, Prime Minister Hun Sen said during a ceremony at the National Education Institute that the government had enough soldiers to combat any enemy to the Kingdom, and that young people needed to go to school and keep to their studies.

The government is again talking about recruiting more soldiers as tensions begin to boil again over the border issue.

From my point of view, conscription of young people would have a huge impact on their ability to become educated and find jobs to support their families.

I am also concerned that the government would use a large part of the national budget to bolster the armed forces instead of using that money to improve education and access to healthcare.

I believe that the Kingdom should have a strong and professional military to protect our sovereignty and territorial integrity. But the Royal decree on reservists should be revised so that young Cambodians can volunteer for 18 months of service rather than being conscripted.

Tong Soprach
Phnom Penh

Send letters to: [email protected] or PO?Box 146, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The Post reserves the right to edit letters to a shorter length. The views expressed above are solely the author’s and do not reflect any positions taken by The Phnom Penh Post.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped