Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ethnic group reps held after land petition bid



Ethnic group reps held after land petition bid

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ten representatives of Banong ethnic villagers from five districts in Mondulkiri were stopped at a checkpoint. Photo Supplied

Ethnic group reps held after land petition bid

Ten representatives of Banong ethnic villagers from five districts in Mondulkiri were questioned for more than an hour by police on Tuesday for their attempt to seek intervention from Prime Minister Hun Sen’s cabinet over the loss of sacred land to 11 families.

Kreung Tola, one of the representatives, said after he was released that they were in a van on the way to Phnom Penh in an attempt to petition the premier’s cabinet and other authorities, but 10 police officers stopped them at a checkpoint.

“The police checked the van and brought us in for questioning at the Keo Seima district police station for over an hour,” Tola said.

In December 2016, Secretary of State Thai Norak Satya at the Ministry of Culture met with the provincial authorities and the representatives of the indigenous community in an effort to find a solution to the land dispute near the Phnom Dos Kramom Mountain.

At the meeting, it was decided not to grant the 2,750 square metres of land to the 11 families because they “had no evidence it belonged to them”.

However, Nget Phan, a representative of the 11 families, submitted a letter rejecting that decision and asking for intervention from the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts on January 11, 2018. Last month, the land was officially handed to each family by the local authorities.

Representative Tola added that at first he and his community wanted the provincial authorities to intervene but later they found they had no hope and headed to Phnom Penh.

“This is the state’s land and a sacred place which belongs to everyone, not to me alone,” Tola said.

Sun Bun Thoeun, Keo Sima district police chief, told The Post that the police only wanted to instruct the villagers to find a solution from the local authorities first before going to the national-level government. “We did not punish them and let them go home,” Bun Thoeun said.

Long Vibol, Senmonorom town governor, said they decided to give the land to the 11 families to ease their poor livelihoods. “Even though they had land, the authorities granted 5-by-50-metre plots to each family,” Governor Vibol said.

Svay Sam Eang, Mondulkiri provincial governor, could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants