Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - EU agrees to give €3M for KRT investigation



EU agrees to give €3M for KRT investigation

People enter the ECCC before the commencement of a hearing in 2011. ECCC
People enter the ECCC before the commencement of a hearing in 2011. ECCC

EU agrees to give €3M for KRT investigation

The EU is due to inject nearly €3 million ($3.18 million) into the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s continued probes into crimes against humanity, the EU ambassador confirmed yesterday.

Of the €2.9 million, €1.5 million has been earmarked for the international component of the court, with €1.4 million for their Cambodian counterparts.

EU Ambassador George Edgar said the agreement was finalised last week after a meeting with Deputy Prime Minister Sok An.

The agreement comes after a US Senate bill earlier this month outlined plans to fund only Case 003 against Meas Muth, the naval commander implicated in the SS Mayaguez incident, which resulted in the loss of at least 38 American lives.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Cintri strike ends, workers’ contracts to be terminated

    CINTRI (Cambodia) Ltd rubbish collectors who have been on strike for the past 13 days agreed to return to work starting Wednesday evening after the company agreed to terminate their contracts at the end of January next year and provide seniority payments and other benefits to

  • Inmates evacuated, schools closed as flooding takes toll

    Thousands of students in Battambang province missed school while over 1,000 prisoners in Banteay Meanchey province were evacuated because of rain-induced floods in the past few days. Yi Songky, director of the provincial Department of Education, Youth and Sport, said floods affected 316 schools in Battambang. Over 200