Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Evictees take protest to ADB

Evictees take protest to ADB

A building marked for destruction sits beside a rail line near Samrong Estate
A building marked for destruction sits beside a rail line near Samrong Estate in February after villagers were relocated from their homes for an ADB-funded railway rehabilitation project. Hong Menea

Evictees take protest to ADB

Hundreds of villagers from Battambang, Banteay Meanchey and Preah Sihanouk provinces joined evictees from the capital yesterday to protest in front of the Asian Development Bank’s office in Phnom Penh.

The demonstrators filed objections over their treatment as a result of the ADB-funded $143 million restoration of the country’s railway system, which has seen them evicted from their homes and left many worse off by relocation.

“Right now, the roads around our house flood in the rainy season because there is no drainage system,” Chho Savon, from Poipet, said of his new village. “We have taken loans to build our houses at the new site, so we need the ADB to pay for infrastructure.”

Protesters held banners yesterday demanding “necessary schools, health centres, infrastructure and drainage systems” in their communities.

Families began moving out of their homes to make way for the project in 2010.

Rights groups say resettlement plans were flawed from the very beginning.

A scathing report from the ADB’s internal watchdog released earlier this year slammed the bank for failing to ensure resettlement – carried out by the government with oversight from the bank – complied with its own
internal safeguards.

Families have said that, in addition to poor facilities at relocation sites, they weren’t paid adequately to account for lost income while moving and that payments did not account for inflation. Many say they fell into debt as a result.

Lim Chek, a 46-year-old community representative from Sihanoukville, said the ADB promised to have a meeting with villagers about its plans to remedy the situation. Instead, he said, government ministries simply mailed the board-approved action plan to residents.

But Eric Sidgwick, ADB’s country director, pledged yesterday that the bank would consult with affected families.

“We acknowledged receipt of the petition letter and comments received from representatives of affected households, and agreed to have further consultations with them with a view to addressing the concerns raised.”

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh