Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Eviction pain lingers in Phnom Penh

Eviction pain lingers in Phnom Penh

Eviction pain lingers in Phnom Penh

120718_04
Traffic passes by the site of the former Group 78 community in Phnom Penh yesterday. The site remains undeveloped. Photograph: Vireak Mai/Phnom Penh Post

Three years after authorities demolished the last houses in Phnom Penh’s Group 78 community, evictees relocated to the outskirts of the capital are still struggling, the Housing Rights Task Force said yesterday.

More than 200 members of the Group 78 community gathered close to the site yesterday, near the Australian Embassy in Chamkarmon district’s Tonle Bassac commune, to commemorate the third anniversary of their eviction.

At dawn on July 17, 2009, police in riot gear cleared the way for workers to demolish the final 46 homes after their occupants refused compensation to vacate.

In the demolition’s aftermath, residents accused the authorities of intimidation and said the presence of armed police had prevented last-minute negotiations.

Those who accepted compensation were sent about 25 kilometres away to Traipang Anchanh on the capital’s outskirts, where they have since found it difficult financially, according to HRTF Secretariat-General Sia Phearum.

“If you’re to compare their [living conditions] to more than three years ago, they were better then,” he said.

Many families who had relied on income from driving motorbikes or operating inner-city market stalls had fallen further into poverty by a lack of employment and business opportunities at the relocation site, Phearum said.

“Some of them have returned to Phnom Penh to rent,” he said, adding it gave them more chance of retaining steady employment. “They’re disappointed.”

The government claimed that residents had lived on land that was owned by the state or local developer Sour Srun Enterprises.

Hasty development of the prime real estate was expected, but the land remains undeveloped and has become overgrown. Some families even claim the Phnom Penh municipal authority has yet to compensate them.

“They promised to pay compensation to us, but until now, we have received nothing,” said Siv Sopheak, 51, whose house was demolished.

Kiet Chhe, administration director of the Phnom Penh municipal authority, declined to comment yesterday.

To contact the reporters on this story: Khouth Sophak Chakrya at [email protected]
Shane Worrell at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Proof giants walked among us humans?

    For years a debate has waged about whether certain bas relief carvings at the 12th-century To Prohm Temple, one of the most popular attractions at the Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap province, depicted dinosaurs or some rather less exotic and more contemporary animal,

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on