Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-Capitol Bus drivers to resume their protest

Ex-Capitol Bus drivers to resume their protest

Union leader Ath Thorn speaks at press conference yesterday in Phnom Penh where former Capitol bus drivers said they would continue to protest.
Union leader Ath Thorn speaks at press conference yesterday in Phnom Penh where former Capitol bus drivers said they would continue to protest. Pha Lina

Ex-Capitol Bus drivers to resume their protest

Fired Capitol bus drivers said yesterday they would launch a fresh round of protests on Friday outside the bus company’s offices near O’Russey Market, again demanding reinstatement of 45 bus drivers and permission for them to unionise.

The 45 drivers were sacked in December for attempting to form a union, with the bus company maintaining the firings were for alleged breaches of company policy such as picking up passengers while mid-route. Five drivers were fired for similar reasons last July.

The drivers have conducted multiple protests since then and were brutally beaten up by members of a tuk-tuk drivers association with a chequered past in February.

Ieng Kimhun, secretary-general at the Cambodian Transportation Worker Federation, said attempts by the ministry to arbitrate the Capitol dispute in August had failed, leaving the drivers with no option but to resume their protests.

“During previous protests, we have been intimidated and beaten, but we will never give up,” he said at a press conference in Phnom Penh.

Capitol’s general manager, Phan Sopheap, said the drivers were “not telling the truth” and refused to comment further.

At the same press conference, Cambodian Labour Confederation legal officer Nin Kosal said the group would consider strikes at Cambodia’s three international airports in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville for firing workers last year who were trying to unionise and for unfair wage practices.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Malaysian MP calls on his government to take stand on Cambodian elections

    A Malaysian parliamentarian raised concerns in his country on Wednesday about Cambodia’s July 29 national elections and urged his government to clarify its position on the subject, the Asean Parliamentarians for Human Rights (APHR) said on Thursday. Wong Chen, a member of the People’s

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not