Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-Funcinpec leader files over ‘conspiracy’



Ex-Funcinpec leader files over ‘conspiracy’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Funcinpec rallies in the last election campaign last month. Heng Chivoan

Ex-Funcinpec leader files over ‘conspiracy’

Former Funcinpec deputy secretary-general Suong Phally filed a complaint with the capital’s municipal court on Monday demanding one billion riel ($245,000) compensation from five party officials for conspiring to end his membership.

Speaking to The Post on Wednesday, Phally named the Funcinpec officials as You Hok Kry, Por Bun Sroeu, Nheb Bun Chin, Nuth Sokhum and Yoem Savy.

“I filed this complaint because they are working against the [party’s] standards . . . [these] people never do any work, [but when] there is a selection of 41 lawmakers, their names appeared on the list,” he claimed.

He said that the candidates for lawmaker failed to uphold the values of the party. “I am taking legal action against the five committee members that arranged it like that. People worked hard but got nothing. Yet those who never do any work benefited, he said.

Funcipec spokesman Nheb Bun Chin who is being sued by Phally, said that he didn’t understand what Phally was doing.

“I am not happy with him. He comes to disturb people. I am seeking a lawyer to work on this case. In the party, I don’t have any enemies ... and there is an accusation through an ill intentioned administrative letter.

“Who removed [him], who is ill-intentioned? Did I sign the letter? Now I cannot let [him] continue doing such things,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting