Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

Former Radio Free Asia journalists Sok Ratha (left) and Ouk Savborey (right) speak to the press yesterday in Phnom Penh.
Former Radio Free Asia journalists Sok Ratha (left) and Ouk Savborey (right) speak to the press yesterday in Phnom Penh. Hong Menea

Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media.

The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised the press conference, though questions lingered over the involvement of the Ministry of Information, particularly given the government’s recent contention that RFA was involved in a purported opposition-led “revolution” to topple the government. The opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party was dissolved last week over the allegations in a decision that observers equated to the “death of democracy”.

Ratha said he had made a request to US Ambassador William Heidt to help with mediation with the board of directors of RFA on the disbursement of his work benefits following its closure. He said he had waited for his severance pay for more than two months, but so far, he hasn’t been paid.

“I have received information from other reporters who ended their contracts with RFA, just like me, and they have received [severance] money since October, and it’s only me who has not received this . . . money,” he said.

Ratha said he had worked for RFA for 13 years, and according to his calculations, was owed $28,000.

Another former RFA reporter, who asked to remain anonymous, said he had received $28,000 in compensation half a month after RFA’s closure.

David Josar, a spokesman at the US Embassy, confirmed that Ratha had written, but referred further questions to RFA in Washington, DC. Rohit Mahajan, spokesman for RFA, said “it’s our policy, as a private, non-profit company, not to discuss internal personnel and compensation issues”.

Ratha claimed RFA was not paying him in retaliation for filming a video of the outlet closing its office in Phnom Penh, saying he believed the station wanted to close the office in “hiding”.

Savborey, meanwhile, said she had a pending case at the Appeal Court regarding compensation she said RFA owed her also totalling $28,000. She said she had a contractual working relationship with RFA from 1999 to October 2015, when the news organisation fired her because she didn’t want to be stationed outside the capital.

A year later, she said, she filed a complaint at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court and won the case in February, with the court ordering RFA to compensate $28,000 to her, but RFA filed an appeal.

She also claimed the Appeal Court had a hearing on the case on November 14, but RFA representatives failed to show up. Appeal Court spokesman Touch Tharith said he couldn’t check yesterday whether the hearing, in fact, took place. Aspects of the press conference yesterday raised eyebrows, however.

Copies of Ratha’s letter to the embassy were disseminated to journalists by ministry spokesman Ouk Kimseng, and reporters were invited to the event by one of Kimseng’s subordinates.

At the end of the press conference, a man was seen taking reporters’ information and giving them money.

Kimseng denied the ministry was involved.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will