Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-US Embassy guards still seek compensation

Ex-US Embassy guards still seek compensation

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former security guards for the US Embassy and their families protest outside the mission on June 19. Pha Lina

Ex-US Embassy guards still seek compensation

A spokesman for the Ministry of Labour said he is yet to receive a complaint from 32 former US Embassy security guards who claimed they were fired over false accusations of possessing and sharing child pornography.

However, the guards claimed they had filed the complaint on June 22 to the ministry after about 20 of them protested in front of the US Embassy on June 19 over their dismissal.

Labour Ministry spokesman Heng Sour, in a message to The Post on Monday, said he has not received the complaint from the guards, who accused the embassy of firing them over baseless allegations.

“I have not received information about this yet,” he wrote.

Long Seng Kimhong, who represented the 32 ex-staffers, said they were waiting for a reply from the ministry after filing their complaint seeking justice and demanding the embassy officials show them the alleged pictures for which they have been terminated.

“We are waiting for a solution from the Ministry of Labour first, in order to know how they are going to solve this for us. We have not received any information yet."

“We want justice and we want the US Embassy to show the pictures to us. We also want to get our six-month seniority bonus for which we are entitled."

“We filed our complaint with the ministry because we have been unfairly treated and fired over untrue claims. What we want the most is for the embassy to show us the pictures,” Seng Kimhong said.

He said that embassy officials asked two of the former guards on June 21 whether there was a third party fuelling the protests.

“I replied that we do not have anyone behind us. We wanted to protest immediately when they fired us . . . and we asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Samdech’s [Prime Minister Hun Sen’s] cabinet, and the municipal hall twice [for help], so there is no one behind us.

“We protested because it is unfair [that we were fired],” Seng Kimhong said.

On Monday, Arend Zwartjes, the embassy’s public affairs officer, said: “The US government takes incidents involving child pornography and child exploitation very seriously.

“In such cases, there are strict protocols for handling material in the interest of protecting victims. We do not release evidence in these kinds of cases except through sensitive law enforcement channels."

“As we have said before, we do not comment on internal personnel issues. We do, however, have extensive processes in place to deal with grievances.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen asks Cambodians to believe in government

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday asked citizens and investors to trust that the government will overcome the challenges brought about by Covid-19 and the loss of the EU’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. Speaking to reporters at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh,

  • Westerdam passenger ‘never had’ Covid-19

    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the US citizen that allegedly tested positive in Malaysia after travelling on the Westerdam was never infected with Covid-19 in the first place. In an article published in the newspaper USA Today on Friday, CDC

  • ‘Ghost staff’ found, $1.7M returned to state coffers

    The Ministry of Civil Service said more than seven billion riel ($1.7 million) in salaries for civil servants was returned to the state last year after it discovered that the books had been cooked to pay ‘ghost officials’. This is despite claims by the Ministry of

  • Woman wanted for killing own son

    Police in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district are on the lookout for a woman who allegedly hacked her son to death on Sunday in Stung Meanchey III commune. District police chief Meng Vimeandara identified the son as Chan Sokhom, 32. “The offender can’t escape forever.

  • H5N1 also poses deadly threat, ministry warns

    The Ministry of Health’s Communicable Disease Control (CDC) department has called on citizens to excise caution over H5N1 or bird flu that is spreading in the southern province of Vietnam. In a Facebook post, the department announced that it has made a series

  • Malaysia in turmoil

    Malaysian Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad has done it again. At the centre of two days of high drama and political manoeuvring, he has, wittingly or not, contributed to shaking Malaysia, and further causing its equities market to fall nearly three per cent. The drama