Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ex-worker for Licadho sues for $11,000

Ex-worker for Licadho sues for $11,000

Ex-worker for Licadho sues for $11,000

A LAWYER formerly employed by local human rights group Licadho has filed a lawsuit against the organisation, accusing it of wrongful dismissal and demanding over US$11,000 in damages.

In the lawsuit, filed to Phnom Penh Municipal Court on May 11, lawyer Pek Vannak requested that Licadho’s executive director Naly Pilorge pay him US$5,112 as an indemnity for lost wages and $6,000 to compensate for mental damage arising from his dismissal.

“Licadho’s director decided to fire me from the organisation according to her personal view, without a letter of notification or an oral agreement beforehand,” the lawsuit read.

“This unjust accusation and ... this violation of the law I cannot accept.”

The lawsuit states that Pek Vannak worked for Licadho from April 2003 until his dismissal on November 12 last year, and alleges that he was fired after committing a few minor transgressions.

“The court follows the law, and if they find that [I did not commit] a serious mistake Licadho must pay an indemnity for firing me and for mental damage according to the Labour Law,” he said Sunday.

Pek Vannak also said that other Licadho workers were fired under similar circumstances and without severance pay, accusing the organisation of violating the Labour Law.

“This organisation is a human rights organisation, but on the contrary, the director does not respect human rights,” he added.

Naly Pilorge could not be reached for comment Sunday, but Pung Chhiv Kek, Licadho’s president, stood by the dismissal, saying it was prompted by Pen Vannak’s own poor performance.

“It is Vannak’s right to file a civil suit, but we are ready to respond with strong evidence of the rightful dismissal of Pek Vannak,” she said.

Ke Sakhan, deputy president of Phnom Penh Municipal Court, said the court summoned Naly Pilorge to appear on May 12, but that she had requested a postponement until June 15. He said a decision has not yet been made on when the case will be heard.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen’s China visit ‘a good opportunity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen’s visit to Beijing on Sunday to discuss economic and trade issues presents a good opportunity for the Kingdom to strengthen Chinese ties and counter punitive measures by the West, an analyst says. The prime minister’s four-day official visit to

  • Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

    The former chief bodyguard of late Senate president Chea Sim has received a royal pardon nearly eight years after he was sentenced to 15 years behind bars on several charges, according to a royal decree dated November 12, last year, and obtained by The Post on Wednesday.

  • Close to the edge: Hair raising pictures from Kulen Mountain

    A new hair raising attraction on Kulen Mountain has finally opened to the public, with people flocking to the protruding cliff edge overlooking green mountainous forests to take photographs. The giant overhanging rock is situated in an area known as Mahendraparvata – an ancient city of

  • US warned not to interfere despite successful meeting

    A senior Ministry of National Defence official said the Tuesday meeting between the US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence for South and Southeast Asia Joseph H Felter and General Neang Phat had helped strengthen relations between the two countries’ militaries. However, a senior Cambodian People’