Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Exam mother resting, waiting for outcome

Exam mother resting, waiting for outcome

Sisowat Sihasa lays wrapped in blankets in Koh Kong after being born last week
Sisowat Sihasa lays wrapped in blankets in Koh Kong after being born last week. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Exam mother resting, waiting for outcome

The husband of a heavily pregnant woman rushed out of this year’s one-chance-only national exam said the new mother has accepted that she will likely have to re-sit the test in 2016, but welcomes government efforts to find a solution.

Twenty-five-year-old Pich Sam Ath had sat all but one of the national exam papers when she was forced to leave her maths test on Tuesday afternoon, due to severe pregnancy pains.

Her husband, Prince Sisowat Rithy Ravon – a grandson of Princess Sisowat Pong Neary Monypong – said his wife gave birth two days after the exam to a son they have named Sisowat Sihasa.

Rithy Ravon said his wife had been experiencing pain for the duration of the two-day exam, but it got progressively worse.

“On Tuesday, the pain increased and it forced her to ask for permission to leave the examination in the morning, but she was not allowed to because officials were scared of the exam being leaked.”

This week, the Ministry of Women’s Affairs led calls for the new mother not to be given a score of zero in the subject, an action that would see her fail the entire exam. The Ministry of Education has since said it will consider the “special case”.

“I thank them for the intervention, but I have prepared already to let my wife take the examination next year,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for

  • Cross-border deal inked to maintain trade amid Covid-19

    Cambodia and Vietnam have agreed to allow cargo trailers to enter the common Bavet-Moc Bai border, located in Cambodia’ Svay Rieng province (Bavet) and Vietnam’s Tay Ninh province (Moc Bai) after movement restrictions were enforced to prevent a Covid-19 outbreak. The decision was made