Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Examine interview sessions: Ieng Sary team

Examine interview sessions: Ieng Sary team

Examine interview sessions: Ieng Sary team


In at least 12 cases, Khmer Rouge tribunal investigators interviewed witnesses off the record, raising concerns over the reliability of their testimony and the intentions of the Office of the Co-Investigating Judges (OCIJ), the defence for Ieng Sary said this weekend.

Lawyers for Sary, who have repeatedly sought to shed light on the practice, on Friday filed a request for a public hearing on “the OCIJ’s widespread and systematic practice of conducting unrecorded interviews with witnesses”.

In motions and in court, defence teams have drawn attention in recent months to the revelation that some witnesses were interviewed off-record by investigators before returning to hold “official” interviews. Doing so, they contend, is a violation of the court’s internal rules, which stipulate that a written record be made of every interview.

The Sary team has been especially forceful, contending in a number of filings that the practice is not only a violation of the court’s internal rules, but a grave breach of fair trial rights.

The request for a public hearing is the strongest motion yet, noting that, in addition to the four cases over which defence teams have already sought clarification, 12 other instances of unrecorded witness interviews have been found.

In an email, lead co-lawyer Michael Karnavas said the number was likely far higher than that which had been uncovered thus far. “In total thus far we have come across around 20 questionable interviews; we suspect there are lots more.”

The widespread nature of the practice, lawyers argue in the filing, demonstrates it “was not an aberration from the OCIJ’s normal investigative procedure, but was in fact a widespread and systematic practice”.

In the filing, the defence team outline the investigators’ routine, noting that they frequently met “informally” with witnesses before holding official interviews in which the records insinuate both parties are meeting for the first time.

To contact the reporter on this story: Abby Seiff at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a