Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Expert decides against testifying at KR tribunal



Expert decides against testifying at KR tribunal

Members of the audience follow witness testimony in June at the ECCC during Case 002/02. ECCC
Members of the audience follow witness testimony in June at the ECCC during Case 002/02. ECCC

Expert decides against testifying at KR tribunal

Renowned historian Michael Vickery made an eleventh-hour retreat from his decision to testify as an expert witness at the Khmer Rouge tribunal, the court announced yesterday.

Vickery, the author of Cambodia 1975-82, initially agreed to testify in June, but on July 11, he withdrew his decision, “as he thought it would be too strenuous”, according to a letter from the court.

“It is true I will not be giving testimony. That is all I want to say now,” Vickery said via email last night. The court elaborated that “he had ‘consulted with a lawyer friend experienced in these matters’ and was convinced that he should not testify”.

Vickery had previously worked for the defence teams of former Khmer Rouge leader Ieng Sary, and for Case 003 defendant Meas Muth, which prompted Muth’s defence lawyer Michael Karnavas to seek to put limitations on Vickery’s testimony, which was due to begin on August 1.

“My concerns had to do with inadvertently revealing confidential communications from having worked as an expert on the Ieng Sary and Meas Muth cases,” Karnavas said.

The announcement was met with dismay from both the prosecution and defence sides.

“We are disappointed with his decision and hope he would reconsider,” said deputy co-prosecutor William Smith.

Nuon Chea defence lawyer Victor Koppe said that it was “unfortunate”.

“He has criticised, on good grounds, many other so-called experts . . . it would have been refreshing,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and