Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Facebook post insulting King lands man in court



Facebook post insulting King lands man in court

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Police sent a man to the Kampot Provincial Court on December 16 after he was arrested the previous day for allegedly writing Facebook posts insulting King Norodom Sihamoni, Prime Minister Hun Sen and several provincial police chiefs. Police

Facebook post insulting King lands man in court

Police sent a man to the Kampot Provincial Court on December 16 after he was arrested the previous day for allegedly writing Facebook posts insulting King Norodom Sihamoni, Prime Minister Hun Sen and several provincial police chiefs.

The man was identified as a 25-year-old resident of Kep commune in neighbouring Kep province.

Kep provincial deputy police chief Poung Sokheng said the suspect was sent to the Kampot Provincial Court after questioning.

Sokheng said the legal basis for the man’s referral to court were his confessions to writing the insulting Facebook posts.

“We sent the case to court in connection with two offences. The first is incitement to discriminate and the other is public defamation on social media,” he said.

During questioning, the suspect said he wrote the Facebook post as a revenge on his girlfriend who had left him for another man. He said the break-up led him to create a new Facebook profile using the names of his ex-girlfriend’s parents, along with their photos, where he wrote the posts insulting the King and others.

Sokheng added that the accused had also written rude words about the provincial police chiefs of Kandal, Kep and Kampot.

The man, Sokheng said, wanted to frame his ex-girlfriend’s parents for the offenses and get them in trouble as revenge.

He said provincial police had cooperated with specialists from the Anti-Cybercrime Department under the Ministry of the Interior to identify the suspect over the past year.

As part of the investigation, they had called in the ex-girlfriend and her parents for questioning multiple times.

Sokheng said the suspect, who initially denied that the Facebook account belonged to him, had first created a fake Facebook profile to author the insulting posts back in 2017. Early on, the suspect’s posts were not offensive enough to attract the attention of the authorities but they had gotten progressively worse over the past six months.

Anti-Cybercrime department director Chea Pov told The Post on December 16 that prior to his detention, the suspect had already written criticisms and insults about police officials on his own Facebook account.

“He had used rude words insulting senior officials of the National Police,” he said.

The suspect was arrested in Kep after his identity was confirmed and an official complaint filed against him.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting