Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Factory accident victim only 15, family says

Factory accident victim only 15, family says

Factory accident victim only 15, family says

15 year old factory worker deceased shane worrell
The body of Sim Srey Touch is surrounded by family and community members in her home after being crushed by falling metal and concrete at the Wing Star Shoes factory accident in Kampong Speu today. Shane Worrell

Three family members of a garment worker who was killed this morning when a mezzanine at the Wing Star Shoes Co., Ltd factory collapsed on her have said she was only 15 years old.

Sim Srey Touch was crushed by falling metal and concrete in an accident that government officials and Wing Star Shoes have said killed two workers.

Srey Touch, family members said, had worked at the factory only two weeks.

Three of Sim Srey Touch’s sisters also work at Wing Star, including 23-year-old Yim Pay, who said she watched police carry out her 15-year-old sister’s body.

“I was working in another building and heard a thunderous sound and ran to see what was happening,” the 23-year-old said.

“I came out and saw the police carrying my sister and I went into shock.”

Srey Touch’s mother, Noun Nget, told reporters her daughter was 15 and had lied about her age to get a job at Wing Star Shoe.

“She began working there on May 2 and did not yet get a salary. I do not want compensation from the factory – I want to see my daughter survive,” she said.

“My daughter used a fake document that said she was 22 or 23 to get work,” she said.

When asked again later, she said her daughter was “22 or 23”.

Two other families members huddled around the Srey Touch’s body at the family home in Kong Pisei district’s Prey Vihear commune also said she was 15.

Chea Sothavirith, administration director at Wing Star Shoes, said he could not comment on the girl's age or whether the family’s of the victims would be paid compensation.

“As far as I know now, there are two died, 11 injured, so I can’t say more and we will have meeting this afternoon with the authorities about what to do with the families," he said.

During a press conference at the scene earlier this morning, Ith Sam Heng, Minister of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation, pledged that the government would provide compensation to victims.

He also said three people had died, but later contacted reporters to say he had made a mistake.

Seven workers who were taken to Calmette Hospital in Phnom Penh have all since been moved from the emergency department.

Staff said three more workers were being transferred to Calmette from Kampong Speu.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on