Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Falling steel kills worker in Phnom Penh



Falling steel kills worker in Phnom Penh

Falling steel kills worker in Phnom Penh

A contruction worker died in Phnom Penh this weekend while he was about to be transported to Vietnam for medical treatment after a metal pole fell 13 stories and struck his head, police, workers and an eyewitness said yesterday.

The man was working on Saturday afternoon without a helmet, according to a witness, on an apartment building owned by Greater Apartment Building company in Chamkarmon district’s Boeung Keng Kang I commune.

The general manager for the apartment was “busy” when contacted yesterday.

A commune police official, who requested anonymity, said the worker, identified as Ngel Vy, 36, was from Prey Veng province. An investigation into the incident is ongoing, but several testimonies suggested it was an accident, he said.

He did not know whether the company would pay compensation, which he said may be negotiated by a relative of the deceased who works at the same site.

A construction worker, who also asked not to be named, said Ngel Vy was transported to Mekong Hospital, but then sent to Calmette Hospital because of his critical condition.

He said Ngel Vy’s relative on the site requested that he then be sent to Vietnam for treatment. He died on the way.

A witness, who asked not to be named, said he heard the accident and saw the worker splayed on the ground amid a panicked scene.

“I was 10 feet away. It was apparent he had a massive head injury,” he said.

Workers loaded the man onto the back of a motorcycle, he said.

“He was just like a wet noodle, hanging off, blood spilling everywhere,” he said.

The policeman said Ngel Vy had been taken away by the time he arrived, and saw only a pool of blood.

The head of the construction site “did not cooperate” or provide detailed information about the accident, he said.

Chhouy Meng, head of the emergency care unit and vice chief of the technical office at Calmette, said doctors at Calmette do not usually transfer patients in critical condition to Vietnam for treatment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year