Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Families request delay in national park dispute

Families request delay in national park dispute

Families request delay in national park dispute

ROUGHLY 60 families involved in a land dispute with a company in Preah Sihanouk province’s Ream National Park asked the provincial court to postpone their hearing so they could find legal representation.

Village representative Prum Vinh, 53, said villagers in the province’s Prey Nob district were issued a court summons in relation to a land dispute with the local Oeung Sisruon Company, which is developing infrastructure for drinking water in the commune.

“They issued a court summons to us on August 11, ordering us to appear at the court to clarify why the company has accused us of living on private property,” he said. “They requested us to appear on August 24, but that is too soon for us to find a lawyer.”

He said the 60 families had lived on the disputed 1.7-hectare plot of land since 2004, but had not been aware the land belonged to anyone.

“The villagers have lived here with no land titles,” he said. “But this land does not belong to anybody, because we lived here when the land was covered in forest.”

He said the company first filed a complaint against the villagers in 2006. “At first I didn’t know the land was Ream National Park, but if anyone wants to come take our land [that person] must provide fair compensation.”

However, Ream commune chief Lin Sarin said villagers living there had been doing so illegally. “The government granted an economic land concession to Oeung Sisruon in 2007, to develop clean water on the land,” he said.

Cheap Sotheary, Preah Sihanouk provincial coordinator for the rights group Adhoc, said both parties were abusing a national park that had been certified since 1993.

“The court can process this case as long as the plaintiff owns the land title,” he said.

“We hope the judiciary in this case will use suitable procedures.”

However, deputy provincial court prosecutor Kem Eang said he had not yet heard about the case involving the villagers. “We have a lot of prosecutors and I don’t know who will cover this case,” he said.

Representatives of the Oeung Sisruon Company could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Deputy district governor Buon Huor also declined to comment, saying he did not know about the case.

MOST VIEWED

  • Stock photo agencies cash in on Khmer Rouge tragedy
    Stock-photo companies selling images from S-21 raises ethics concerns

    A woman with short-cropped hair stares directly into the camera, her head cocked slightly to the side. On her lap is a sleeping infant just barely in the frame. The woman was the wife of a Khmer Rouge officer who fell out of favour, and

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • Prime Minister: Take back islands from inactive developers

    The government will “take back” land on roughly 30 islands from private companies that have not made progress on planned developments, Prime Minister Hun Sen said in a speech on Monday that also targeted land-grabbing villagers and idle provincial governors. Speaking at the inauguration of the

  • Land on capital’s riverfront is opened up for investment

    The government has signed off on a proposal to designate more than 9 hectares of land along Phnom Penh’s riverfront as state-private land, opening it up for private investment or long-term leasing. The 9.25-hectare stretch of riverfront from the capital’s Night Market to the