Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Families stuck in Oddar Meanchey land row seek solution from PM, ministry

Families stuck in Oddar Meanchey land row seek solution from PM, ministry

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Fourteen families in Oddar Meanchey province’s O’Smach commune on Friday send a letter to Chea Sophara, Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, suggesting him to intervene in their land dispute with military officials. Photo supplied

Families stuck in Oddar Meanchey land row seek solution from PM, ministry

Fourteen families in Oddar Meanchey province’s O’Smach commune on Friday sent a letter to Chea Sophara, Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, asking him to intervene in their land dispute with military officials.

The families accused border military commander Pok Sophal and three other officials from Regiment 402 – Pov Oeun, Yo Yan and Long Ly – of grabbing their land, totalling 43.5ha.

Earlier on February 19, representatives of the families submitted a petition to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s cabinet, seeking a solution to the spat.

Bou Buntha, a member of one of the affected families, said on Monday that Sophal had led a group of armed soldiers to intimidate the families and flattened their land.

“On December 18, last year, the official ordered six of his subordinates, armed with guns, to clear our land with machinery. They claimed they were constructing a road for the military, but we do not believe them,” he said.

Buntha noted that the families have owned and cultivated their land since 2004.

However, Sophal denied having grabbed their land, claiming that the soldiers were indeed constructing a 5m-wide and 2km-long access road to their station for the purpose of “easier mobilisation”.

He said they had obtained permission from the commune, district and provincial authorities.

Sophal said if he grabbed the land, he would be willing to take all legal responsibilities.

“Three representatives of the families were there seeing our clearing activities and had agreed to them, but one representative, Bou Buntha, accused us of land grabbing."

“I do not understand. I explained it to them, but he did not listen to me and now I heard that he had sent a complaint to Samdech [Hun Sen],” he said.

Sophal called for all levels of authority to thoroughly investigate the matter. In case the families posses titles to their land, he said, his team will stop flattening land and building the road.

O’Smach commune chief Uk Bunheng said he had repeatedly reminded the soldiers that the families possessed documents to prove the ownership titles, but the soldiers kept clearing the disputed land.

“Some parts of the [disputed] land were already cleared but the clearing activities have been temporarily halted."

“I tried to mediate between the two parties, but they did not listen to me. Each side wanted to win. I do not know what else I can do, so they [the families] complained to higher authorities,” Bunheng said.

Oddar Meanchey provincial governor Pen Kosal said he was aware of the issue, noting that the families had not filed a complaint to the provincial authority.

“If they filed a complaint to us, we would have solved it for them because we have a special committee for solving land disputes,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Draft law on state of emergency pending finalisation

    Prime Minister Hun Sen will lead a top-level meeting on Tuesdays to review the draft law on imposing a state of emergency. Meantime, he has decided to close all casinos in Cambodia effective April 1. In the press conference after the National Assembly met today, Hun

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 foreigners in Cambodia, the bulk being from the UK, have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly them out of the Kingdom. The petition is targeted at 15,000 foreigners. Among them are nearly 200 Europeans, the majority

  • Covid-19 Pandemic: Force majeure and legal consequences

    Is the Covid-19 pandemic considered an event of force majeure? The World Health Organisation declared the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak a pandemic on March 11. Following this declaration, the Ministry of Health and other ministries have taken various legal and administrative measures to prevent the rapid

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • PM set to mend ties with US

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has responded to US Congressman Ted Yoho, saying he is ready to improve Cambodia-US relations, and not take up issues of disagreements which have become a barrier between the two countries’ bilateral cooperation. His response to Yoho came after the congressman

  • Cellcard announces Cambodia’s first use of 5G to help Kingdom during Covid-19

    Cellcard on Friday announced Cambodia’s first use of 5G for a telemedicine service at four locations across Phnom Penh to help the Kingdom’s most critically ill during the Covid-19 outbreak. Cellcard, which is the only 100 per cent Cambodian-owned and "Proudly Khmer" mobile network