Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Farmers waiting for return of two impounded tractors

Farmers waiting for return of two impounded tractors

Farmers waiting for return of two impounded tractors

The Kampong Chhnang provincial Fisheries Administration on Tuesday filed a provincial court petition asking it to return two tractors that had been seized from villagers by the Cholkiri military force while they were ploughing their farmland on Sunday.

Kampong Chhnang Fisheries Administration chief Ly La told The Post on Tuesday that the request to return the two tractors to the villagers had been made based on the result of an investigation by the Joint Commission of the Cholkiri district unified commission on Monday.

The investigation, he said, proved that villagers were farming land they had been harvesting for over 20 years and not illegal forest land that had been invaded in the past three years.

“Now that the joint commission has investigated the site where the incident occurred and found that it is indeed old farmland, we need to return the tractors. But we have to wait for the decision from the court since the case has already been handed over to the prosecution,” La said.

Ly Phallin, the deputy governor of Cholkiri district who led the committee looking into the land history at the location, told The Post that after having investigated and questioned farmers about the history of the land and based on the reasoning of the local authority, officials concluded that the farmland had been harvested since 1994.

“After having discovered the truth, we are very ashamed to have confiscated their tractors, not allowing them to plough while the rice cultivation in the early wet season is coming. Therefore, we have to hurry to get the letter to the court to request the tractors be returned to the villagers.”

The police force and the deputy military force of the Cholkiri district cooperated on Sunday in patrolling Peam Chhkork and encountered a group of people ploughing the field which the authority suspected was flooded forest land.

“In an attempt to protect the public interest of the state, the authority asked deputy prosecutor Long Sitha to temporarily detain the two tractors, but not the people, and wait for further investigation.

“After the temporary confiscation of the two tractors, we instructed the farmers that we would send the case to the fisheries administration,” said Ean Vanny, the district military commander.

He said the case is now out of his hands. “If the joint commission, which is comprised of all the specialised officials in the fisheries administration, discovers that it is old farmland and the court decides to give back the tractors, we will return them to the villagers immediately,” he said.

Sitha told The Post on Wednesday that he still hasn’t received a letter from the Fisheries Administration or the commission on the result of the investigation, and neither did they request to return the tractors to the villagers.

“I have not received any news or confirmation documents or any request to return the tractors. I will look into it when I receive the request,” Sitha said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Four-pillar approach in reopening of tourism: PM

    Cambodia is drawing up a four-strategy approach to promptly restore domestic and international tourism activity and put the industry on a transition pathway to a sustainable and inclusive model that is resistant to future crises, according to Prime Minister Hun Sen. The prime minister made

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Cambodian bride ‘badly treated, held captive’ by Chinese man seeks help

    A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety. The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old