Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fate of teen still a mystery

Fate of teen still a mystery

The older sister of Khim Saphath holds a picture of her brother in Phnom Penh last month. Saphath has been missing since the January 3 government crackdown on Veng Sreng Boulevard.
The older sister of Khim Saphath holds a picture of her brother in Phnom Penh last month. Saphath has been missing since the January 3 government crackdown on Veng Sreng Boulevard. Hong Menea

Fate of teen still a mystery

The fate of Khim Saphath, the 16-year-old boy missing since clashes between striking garment workers and security forces erupted on Veng Sreng Boulevard on January 3, continues to differentiate fatality lists compiled by rights groups.

He was last seen lying on the ground with a bloody chest wound, according to eyewitnesses, before vanishing without a trace.

After investigation, Adhoc has officially concluded that the boy – who lied about his age to work in a Chinese-owned garment factory – was killed, senior investigator Chan Soveth said on Thursday, with the organisation’s death toll thus standing at five.

“We have evidence and witnesses who saw the son shot to the ground on the spot that day,” he said.

But Licadho – which counts four dead – still treats Saphath as missing and is yet to conclude its investigation, technical supervisor Am Sam Ath said.

“We still do not have clear sources, so we have kept him on the missing list.”

On January 12, Mok Chito, chief of the Interior Ministry’s central justice department, told the Post that anyone missing since the clashes would be found if a complaint was lodged with police.

But Saphath’s father, Khim Souern, said he has not approached police because he does not trust them to carry out a proper investigation.

He added that small bribes were needed for local authorities to sign a letter allowing him to claim $180 of his son’s remaining salary from the Hua Hsi garment factory.

Meanwhile, many of the more than 40 protesters and bystanders injured during the January 3 clashes are yet to fully recover from their wounds.

Factory worker Prom Phearum, 22, who was shot in the leg, said doctors have told him that he might need an amputation, as blood is stuck between fractured bone.

“I need an immediate operation or else it will become more serious and my leg will be cut off.… I am so scared so I want an operation but I cannot afford it because the doctor said it will cost $450,” he said.

Only one injured civilian remains in hospital, according to Licadho.

Kheng Tito, spokesman for the military police, said 29 officers were injured during January 2 and 3 clashes, though he did not give further details.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman