Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Father held over PP rape accusation

Father held over PP rape accusation

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A man was arrested and sent to PP court for allegedly raping his step-daughter. Police

Father held over PP rape accusation

Phnom Penh’s Chbar Ampov district police will send a 27-year-old suspect to the municipal court on Thursday after he was detained for allegedly raping his 13-year-old step-daughter two days earlier.

The arrest was made after the underage victim’s mother filed a complaint to the district police.

The girl, her mother and the suspect worked as recyclable waste collectors, according to Chbar Ampov deputy police chief Mao Soeuth. They lived together at a pagoda.

Both the victim and suspect, he said on Wednesday, had been questioned over the accusation at the police station in order to impose “further legal action” on the latter.

The girl was immediately returned to her mother after the interrogation, Soeuth said.

The police report revealed that at about 10pm on Sunday, the suspect brought the girl to a guesthouse where he purportedly raped her three times.

Looking pale and jaded after the incident, the girl’s mother asked her what happened. The girl divulged what her dad had done the night before, prompting the mother to go to the police station to file a complaint on Tuesday.

The suspect was arrested in the afternoon of the same day.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said