Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Faulty link reveals Khmer Rouge court's secret documents

Faulty link reveals Khmer Rouge court's secret documents

Faulty link reveals Khmer Rouge court's secret documents

Khmer Rouge tribunal officials scrambled to pull down a faulty link yesterday after it was revealed it provided access to a confidential, though previously leaked, court document detailing the names of the suspects in Case 003 and the crimes of which they are accused.

They then warned that those publishing information from the document could be subject to contempt of court proceedings.

The link was up for approximately 18 hours before officials were alerted to the error and deleted it.

Through the link, users could download a copy of the prosecution’s Second Introductory Submission in Case 003, a confidential document that made headlines when it was leaked to the media in June 2011.

In a move roundly criticised by media monitors and rights groups, investigating judges then opened contempt proceedings against Voice of America (VOA), though the document had been heavily circulated by other outlets by the time of the VOA reports.

The widely available submission names naval commander Meas Muth and air force commander Sou Meth as suspects in Case 003 and calls for their arrest as well as a full investigation into the alleged crimes.

Among other crimes, the pair are believed to have overseen purges of the Revolutionary Army of Kampuchea that saw tens of thousands of deaths.

Though the names of all five mid-ranking cadres listed as suspects in the government-opposed cases 003 and 004 are widely known and have appeared in the public domain for years, the court has refused to publicly release them.

The extreme levels of secrecy surrounding investigations into the politically sensitive cases have led to numerous clashes within the OCIJ and between judges and prosecutors amid allegations the cases are being buried at the government’s behest.

Early this year, in an effort to push forward investigations that have remained stalled since prosecutors first called for them in 2008, then-international Co-Investigating Judge Laurent Kasper-Ansermet informed the suspects of the charges against them and their legal rights. The move came shortly after the judge re-opened investigations in Case 003, a move opposed by his national counterpart.

To this day, it is unknown whether his decision stands and whether any further investigation has been made into the case.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials