Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Few babies 'abandoned' since moratorium: orphanages

Few babies 'abandoned' since moratorium: orphanages

Few babies 'abandoned' since moratorium: orphanages

few.jpg
few.jpg

A toddler at the Asian Orphans' Association orphanage.

Orphanage directors in Phnom Penh have reported a sharp drop in the number of abandoned

babies since adoptions to the US were suspended late last year. Directors contacted

by the Post said they had not received any babies at all this year.

Accurate annual figures on the number of abandoned babies and children are not maintained

by the Ministry of Social Affairs (MoSALVY) since many institutions that accept children

are not registered with the government.

Mao Sovadei, director of MoSALVY's child welfare department, said 31 babies had entered

state-run orphanages in January and February, which was the last month for which

figures were compiled.

The signature of Phou Phorn, village chief of Cheng Meng on the outskirts of Phnom

Penh, appears on numerous abandonment documents for babies taken to the nearby Asian

Orphans' Association (AOA) during 2001.

He said that last year around "two or three babies every month" were abandoned

in his village. He was unable to recall where or how the babies were abandoned, or

who found them in the village, but confirmed that abandonment has ceased since late

last year.

It was a similar story at Koh Prik village, which is adjacent to AOA's orphanage.

Village chief Yan Yon said couples abandoned babies in his village because they knew

an orphanage was close by. However he was at a loss to explain why the couples had

stopped coming.

Licadho founder Dr Kek Galabru emphasized that the human rights NGO did not have

accurate figures on abandonment, but indicated that "if true" the decrease

was likely to be as a result of the drop in demand caused by the suspension of adoptions

last December.

"We question whether the high number of babies and children arriving in orphanages

is the result of active recruitment of babies and children by persons involved in

the lucrative business of adoptions.

"Information collected in the past has revealed networks of persons offering

money, and misleading impoverished and vulnerable mothers and parents into giving

up babies and children to orphanages," she said.

Figures displayed at AOA show that the orphanage still has 14 boys and 40 girls under

the age of one. The orphanage has a total of 145 children in its care.

AOA deputy director Yim Sokun said 30 orphans were adopted from the orphanage to

the US and other countries during 2002. He said no new orphans had arrived this year.

Other orphanages have also taken in few new orphans. Meas Sopheap manages the state-owned

Kien Khleang Orphanage, with infants at the institution separately managed by an

organization associated with US adoption facilitator Harriet Brener-Sam. Sopheap

said fewer than ten babies had been accepted by the orphanage this year.

And Sea Visoth, director of the Khmer American Orphans' Association, said his orphanage

currently has 50 children in its care. He said only 10 children already matched with

parents before the suspension had been adopted to the US in 2002 under the humanitarian

parole initiative of the US Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

"I have taken on no orphans at all this year because I don't have the funds,"

he said. KAOA has a child trafficking case pending against three of its staff members

following the reuniting of two women with their babies last December. At least one

of those children had already been matched with a US couple for adoption.

The INS suspended issuing US visas for Cambodian orphans on December 21, 2001. Shortly

afterwards, the immigration agency began a case-by-case examination of around 130

cases where prospective adoptive parents from the US had already been officially

matched with a Cambodian child.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The