Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fifth suspect arrested in Siem Reap kidnapping case

Fifth suspect arrested in Siem Reap kidnapping case

Fifth suspect arrested in Siem Reap kidnapping case

090311_03.jpg
090311_03.jpg

Suspect arrested by military police after fleeing to the capital with ransom paid for return of military chief's daughter.

Photo by:
PHOTO SUPPLIED

One of the Siem Reap kidnappers shown in a handout photo. 

A FIFTH suspect has been arrested in the kidnapping of a high-ranking military commander's daughter in Siem Reap last Friday, said local officials.

Siem Reap Governor Sou Phirin told the Post the man was arrested in Phnom Penh and had confessed to collecting the ransom before fleeing to the capital. Sou Phirin declined to say whether any of the ransom money had been recovered.

"The police are still looking to arrest more suspects behind this kidnapping. The people behind this are part of a network of family members, but once they are arrested security will improve," Sou Phirin said.

Morn Chakriya, the 16-year-old daughter of Siem Reap's Military Police Commander Morn Samon, was kidnapped off the street on Friday afternoon and bundled into a car.

The high school student was released on Saturday night after private negotiations between her parents and the kidnappers.  

Four other suspects were arrested on Sunday and Monday in Siem Reap, Battambang and Phnom Penh.

Prak Chan Thoeun, the deputy commander of the Military Police in Siem Reap, said the suspect arrested in Phnom Penh on Monday night had not yet been sent to Siem Reap.

"We are questioning the four suspects and will send them to court," he said Tuesday.

"Our forces are investigating and looking for more conspirators, but I cannot comment in detail as this work is confidential."

Phnom Penh's chief of Municipal Police, Touch Naruth, said the latest suspect was arrested by national Military Police officials. National Military

Police head Sao Sokha declined to comment Tuesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • US Embassy urges reconciliation

    The US has urged Cambodia to restore the independence of the media, drop charges against Kem Sokha and other political prisoners, and end the prohibition of political activity by opposition parties. However, senior government officials see the request, issued by US embassy spokesman Arend C

  • Government deports 235 Chinese scammers

    THE Immigration Department of the Ministry of Interior on Thursday deported 235 Chinese nationals, 35 of whom were female, via the Phnom Penh International Airport for their part in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) online money extortion scam. The deportees were arrested on November 26 over the

  • EU companies voice concern over impact of possible EBA withdrawal

    European companies operating in Cambodia voiced concern over the potential repercussions of removing the Kingdom’s Everything But Arms (EBA) preferential scheme, as the EU Ambassador to Cambodia, George Edgar, led an EU-organised media trip this week. Speaking in Siem Reap province as part of