Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Filing to urge genocide charge

Filing to urge genocide charge

Filing to urge genocide charge

091022_04
Chapei singer Kong Nai sings​ for Khmer Krom civil party applicants at a conference Wednesday.

ATEAM of lawyers representing Khmer Krom civil parties at the Khmer Rouge tribunal is preparing a submission calling for investigating judges to bring genocide charges against the four regime leaders set to be tried in the court’s second case.

The submission, to be filed next week, is an attempt to prompt the court to directly acknowledge the sufferings of the Khmer Krom, a group historians have argued was singled out for abuses by the regime, said Mahdev Mohan, a member of the team and director of the Singapore-based nonprofit Access to Justice Asia.

In addition to 25 Khmer Krom clients, the team is representing 11 Vietnamese clients, and the submission will also call for genocide charges to be brought in connection to crimes committed against Vietnamese in Kampong Chhnang, Mohan said.

As part of preparations for the filing, the team held a conference in Phnom Penh this week, during which the clients, some of whom have already been accepted as civil parties, spoke of what happened to them during the regime.

Ven Nat, a 60-year-old Khmer Krom rice farmer from Takeo province, described how he was detained and tortured.

“I did not answer their questions because they accused me of trying to persuade people to go to Vietnam,” he said. “Then they put the plastic around my head and my eyes, and I fell unconscious during that time.”

Hearing on judges urged
On Wednesday, the defence team for Ieng Sary called on the tribunal to hold a public hearing concerning comments made by Prime Minister Hun Sen, who on September 9 said in a speech in Takeo province that “some foreign judges and prosecutors” had “received orders from their governments to create problems here”.

In a filing dated October 20, lawyers Ang Udom and Michael Karnavas said that neither the UN nor international Pre-Trial Chamber judges Katinka Lahuis and Rowan Downing had addressed the remarks.

UN court spokesman Lars Olsen said this was “not true”, adding that during a September 16 press conference Deputy Director of Administration Knut Rosandhaug responded to a question about the comments.

“I expect international judges to act independently of any executive branch, and I have no reason to believe that they don’t,” Rosandhaug said at the time.

MOST VIEWED

  • Proof giants walked among us humans?

    For years a debate has waged about whether certain bas relief carvings at the 12th-century To Prohm Temple, one of the most popular attractions at the Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap province, depicted dinosaurs or some rather less exotic and more contemporary animal,

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on