Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Film Stars Lined Up For Cambodia Visits



Film Stars Lined Up For Cambodia Visits

Film Stars Lined Up For Cambodia Visits

Plans are in the pipeline to bring America's latest screen siren and Britain's most

famous cinematic nanny to Cambodia later this year.

Sharron Stone, the homicidal temptress from the controversial hit "Basic Instinct,"

may tour repatriation camps late next month while Julie Andrews, who picked up an

Oscar in the title role of "Mary Poppins" almost 30 years ago, is expected

here in November.

The two stars will visit Cambodia at the request of the U.N. High Commissioner for

Refugees, Sadako Ogata, according to Richard Walden, president of the California-based

Operation USA humanitarian group.

UNHCR officials in Phnom Penh could not confirm the plans but said they had heard

of them.

Walden said that Stone, Tinseltown's hottest female lead, could be here late September

or early October, but might not be able to make it until March.

"Her problem is finding a hiatus between film projects," said Walden, who

brought the politically active actor Ed Asner to Cambodia in 1990.

"She's very smart and intelligent and her roles are very smart and intelligent.

. .the average starlet in Hollywood would not be interested in meeting the U.N. High

Commissioner for Refugees," Walden said of Stone.

Andrews is no stranger here, having visited in 1982 with Operation USA (then known

as Operation California) and helping to sponsor the first consignment of western

aid to Cambodia after the overthrow of the Khmer Rouge regime in 1979.

She is expected to visit Cambodia in November but a date has yet to be firmed up.

The British actress, who won hearts around the world with her portrayal of the governess

Maria in "The Sound of Music," has adopted two Vietnamese children.

The two celluloid thespians will follow the chain of resettlement-including visits

to camps in the west of the country-if their trips come off.

Walden hopes that they will go home and talk to the media of their impressions, bringing

the plight of the Cambodian people into the sitting rooms of common folk across the

U.S. and Britain.

Operation USA, which has organized several aid consignments to Cambodia since 1979,

taps the clout of Hollywood stars to raise money and awareness of deprived people

in the Third World.

"It's very important now because of all the competition for money, to get a

good story to help raise cash," Walden said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • SBI LY HOUR Bank Launches Cross Border Money Transfer Service between Cambodia and Vietnam on RippleNet, utilizing DLT

    SBI LY HOUR Bank Plc and Hanoi-based Tien Phong Commercial Joint Stock Bank (TPBank) on Friday launched the first Cambodia-Vietnam money transfer service in real currency via RippleNet, provided by SBI Ripple Asia Co Ltd to provide safe, fast and convenient services. SBI LY HOUR

  • Cambodia ready to exit LDC status

    Cambodia is well-prepared to minimise economic risks when it graduates from its Least Developed Countries status, according to a senior official at the Ministry of Commerce on May 7. Four LDCs – Cambodia, Laos, Bangladesh and Nepal – met at a virtual workshop last week to explore potential

  • Nine US franchises eye Cambodia debut

    Nine famous US franchising companies are looking for business opportunities and expansion into Cambodia to build a footstep for a strong foundation in Southeast Asia. The US embassy in Phnom Penh, in partnership with the US Foreign Commercial Service and with support from the American

  • Nearly 2,000 detained for Phnom Penh curfew breach

    Nearly 2,000 people were detained in the capital for violating the curfew imposed by the government and Phnom Penh Municipal Administration. Municipal police spokesman San Sokseyha told The Post on May 16 that people were detained in two phases. In phase one, the government locked down Phnom

  • Jab drive announced for two more Phnom Penh districts

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration on May 15 announced a first-dose novel-coronavirus vaccination campaign for Boeung Keng Kang and Sen Sok districts from May 18-31, and a follow-up second-shot drive from June 1-15. Twenty vaccination sites have been set up in a combined 13 communes across both