Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fire deaths down, but injuries up: new report

Fire deaths down, but injuries up: new report

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Fire destroys a factory in Takeo’s Tram Kak district earlier this year. POLICE

Fire deaths down, but injuries up: new report

Fewer lives were lost to fires year-to-date when compared to the same period last year, according to a senior official at the Ministry of Interior’s Department of Fire Prevention and Extinguishing and Rescue. However, the number of injured has risen, as had the number of damaged homes.

Department director Neth Vantha said on August 18 that during this period, there were 428 cases of fires nationwide resulting in 13 deaths and 41 injuries, with 564 houses damaged or destroyed.

“The total number of fires fell by 42 and the death toll by four compared to the same period last year. Unfortunately, the number of injured rose by seven and 109 more houses were burned,” he said.

According to Vantha, Phnom Penh had suffered the most fires with 72 cases recorded, followed by Kandal province at 39, Siem Reap and Battambang at 32 and 28 respectively, and Takeo at three.

He called on the owners of large establishments and factories to pay close attention to fire prevention measures by ensuring that they had sufficient equipment and a fire safety plan in place. This would give them a chance to extinguish fires before authorities arrived. Tackling a fire before it grew out of control is often a crucial factor, he added.

According to a fire department report seen by The Post on August 18, more than 41 per cent of fires were due to electrical malfunctions and 37 per cent by open flames, generally candles, cooking fires or incense. The remaining 22 per cent remained under investigation.

National Police chief Neth Savoeun recently urged all departments to work with international partners to improve their skills. This advice extended to the fire department.

He also called on private institutions to establish volunteer fire brigades. In cooperation with the authorities, they could reduce response times, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Research key to Kanitha’s rep for expertise

    Sok Kanitha is used to weighing in on controversial issues using a confident approach that signals expertise and authority, and a recent video she made was no exception. Her “Episode 342: The History of NATO” video went live on January 16, 2023 and immediately shot to 30,000 likes and 3,500

  • Cambodia maintains 'Kun Khmer' stance despite Thailand’s boycott threat

    Cambodia has taken the position that it will use the term "Kun Khmer" to refer to the sport of kickboxing at the upcoming Southeast Asian (SEA) Games, and has removed the term Muay from all references to the sport. Despite strong reactions from the Thai

  • Knockout! Kun Khmer replaces ‘Muay’ for Phnom Penh Games

    Cambodia has decided to officially remove the word Muay from the programme of the 32nd Southeast Asian (SEA) Games 2023 in May. “Kun Khmer” will instead be used to represent the Southeast Asian sport of kickboxing, in accordance with the wishes of the Cambodian people. Vath

  • Artificial insemination takes herd from 7 to 700

    Some farms breed local cows or even import bulls from a broad for the purpose of breeding heavier livestock for meat production. One Tbong Khnum farmer has found a more efficient way. Hout Leang employs artificial insemination to fertilise local cows. Thanks to imported “straws”

  • New int’l airport nearly half complete as travel industry returns to life

    Construction of a new airport that is slated to serve the capital has passed the 43 per cent completion mark, raising prospects for a proper recovery in the civil aviation and tourism sectors as international travellers return to the Kingdom in increasingly large numbers. The figure

  • Chinese group tours return to Cambodia starting Feb 6

    Cambodia is among 20 countries selected by Beijing for a pilot programme allowing travel agencies to provide international group tours as well as flight and hotel packages to Chinese citizens, following a three-year ban. As the days tick down until the programme kicks off on February 6,