Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fire destroys market in Kampong Thom



Fire destroys market in Kampong Thom

Fire destroys market in Kampong Thom

Officials mulling private partnership to help vendors keep their businesses from closure

A FIRE tore through the main market in Kampong Thom province’s Stung Sen district early Tuesday morning, destroying about 160 stalls, police officials and vendors said.

Nhgam Chunly, the police chief for Stung Sen district, said the fire began at around 2am as the vendors, many of whom live in the market, were sleeping.

“The fire damaged 160 stalls in Stung Sen market, and it took about two hours for the firefighters to put it out,” Nhgam Chunly said.

He said five fire trucks were dispatched to fight the blaze, and that they had completely doused the flames by 4am.

He added that officials had launched an investigation into the fire but were still not sure what had started it on Tuesday afternoon.

“We are still investigating this incident,” he said.

Vendors, meanwhile, were left to sift through the rubble of their former stalls.

Kong Srevon, 27, one of the vendors whose stall was completely destroyed, said she did not know whether she would relocate or how she would earn enough money to support her family.

She noted that she had incurred damages of about US$3,000.

Chhun Chhorn, the governor of Kampong Thom province, said “experts” had been assigned to investigate the site of the fire and to calculate the damage it had caused.

He said officials would also work with the vendors to devise a way for them to continue earning money in the short term.

“We will discuss with the vendors about setting up a private partnership for them to rebuild this market soon,” he said.

“But we do not know exactly how we will do this because we will need to study various market building plans before we make a decision,” Chhun Chhorn added.

He said that market vendors in particular should take special precautions to avoid fires during the dry season.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese