Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fired ex-CNRP teachers demand their jobs back

Fired ex-CNRP teachers demand their jobs back

Rong Chhun speaks during a Cambodian Independent Teachers' Association press conference yesterday urging that 13 fired Education Ministry employees be reinstated to their jobs.
Rong Chhun speaks during a Cambodian Independent Teachers' Association press conference yesterday urging that 13 fired Education Ministry employees be reinstated to their jobs. Pha Lina

Fired ex-CNRP teachers demand their jobs back

The Cambodian Independent Teachers’ Association (CITA) at a press conference yesterday urged the Ministry of Education to reinstate 13 former opposition party members who claim they were unjustly fired from their jobs with the ministry for politically motivated reasons.

The press conference followed complaints filed to CITA from 11 of the 13 ministry employees, who were fired on January 30 for “being absent without permission” despite having submitted letters to their respective provincial Education Departments to resume their temporarily suspended duties, in accordance with procedure.

Their termination letters were all signed by Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron.

They claim the Education Ministry did not contact them for a verbal warning nor did it provide them with a warning written letter before being terminated, as required.

Yesterday’s press conference was convened by former CITA head Rong Chhun, himself one of the 13 claiming wrongful termination. Chhun, like the others, had suspended his ministry work to take a political position, in his case as a Cambodia National Rescue Party appointee to the National Election Committee.

He ultimately resigned from that position in protest of the opposition party’s forced dissolution last year, but was terminated when he tried to return to work for the ministry.

Chhun said yesterday the firings are an “injustice” and “discrimination” against he and the 12 others, all of whom are former opposition officials.

“This is not a valid reason, that [we] were absent from work or quit the job,” he said.

A petition was also filed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s cabinet yesterday.

Chhun said if the premier’s cabinet doesn’t take any action on the matter, the teachers will file complaints to international groups asking them to pressure the Cambodian government to give them back their jobs.

Yien Chhoukrath, one of the fired teachers, said he submitted his letter to return to work on November 29, less than two weeks after the CNRP’s dissolution and his departure from politics, but was only fired for being “absent” months later.

Chuon Naron couldn’t be reached, and ministry spokesman Ros Salin has not responded to repeated requests for comment.

San Chey, of the Affiliated Network for Social Accountability, said it’s “not a good process” if the ministry doesn’t give employees notice before terminating them. “I encourage a face-to-face meeting between the Ministry of Education and the officials who were fired.”

Additional reporting by Yesenia Amaro

MOST VIEWED

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • VIP prison scrapped amid much criticism

    The Ministry of Interior announced on Thursday that Cambodia’s first privately run prison, which was to allow prisoners with enough money to upgrade to more comfortable cells, has been scrapped. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said studies had found that no other country in the

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half