Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fires cause loss of homes, jobs in PP

Fires cause loss of homes, jobs in PP

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Fires destroyed a house in Russey Village in Stung Meanchey II commune on Tuesday. Heng Chivoan

Fires cause loss of homes, jobs in PP

Fires which broke out in the capital on Tuesday morning resulted in more than 100 families losing their homes and jobs.

Phnom Penh Fire Bureau chief Prum Yorn told The Post that between 1:30am and 9:30am on Tuesday, fires broke out three times in the capital, destroying 18 homes, 95 rooms for rent, two motorcycles, and several properties in Russey Keo, Meanchey and Sen Sok districts.

“All three fires were caused by negligence by the homeowners and local community,” Yorn said.

Yorn said the first fire took place in the village and commune of Phnom Penh Thmey at 1:30am, destroying a wooden home roofed with zinc, two motorcycles and some possessions.

He said according to homeowner Ly Meng, 72, the fire was likely caused by an electrical fault because before the fire, he heard an explosion at the house’s electric circuit distribution board which sparked flames, resulting in the entire house catching fire.

The second incident took place at 5am, destroying a house in Russey Village in Stung Meanchey II commune, where a zinc-roofed wooden structure with bricks laid beneath it and some utilities caught fire, Yorn said.

According to the homeowner Kong Sok Lin, 54, the fire was caused by him lighting mosquito coils on the mattress carelessly, Yorn said.

Yorn said at 9:30am, another blaze destroyed 16 houses, 95 rooms for rent, and many other properties in Tuol Sangke I commune in Russey Keo district. So far, police have not yet found the cause of the fire.

However, Tuol Sangke I commune police chief Nong Sabong said the fire was the result of a cooking gas tank explosion.

“At the moment, police are cooperating with fire officers to search for the truth after many villagers claimed that it was caused by a gas tank explosion.

“Homeowner Sorn Ratha owns the plots of land with several rooms for rent. But he denied that there was any cooking at his house at that time,” Sabung said.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Draft law on state of emergency pending finalisation

    Prime Minister Hun Sen will lead a top-level meeting on Tuesdays to review the draft law on imposing a state of emergency. Meantime, he has decided to close all casinos in Cambodia effective April 1. In the press conference after the National Assembly met today, Hun

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 foreigners in Cambodia, the bulk being from the UK, have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly them out of the Kingdom. The petition is targeted at 15,000 foreigners. Among them are nearly 200 Europeans, the majority

  • Covid-19 Pandemic: Force majeure and legal consequences

    Is the Covid-19 pandemic considered an event of force majeure? The World Health Organisation declared the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak a pandemic on March 11. Following this declaration, the Ministry of Health and other ministries have taken various legal and administrative measures to prevent the rapid

  • PM set to mend ties with US

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has responded to US Congressman Ted Yoho, saying he is ready to improve Cambodia-US relations, and not take up issues of disagreements which have become a barrier between the two countries’ bilateral cooperation. His response to Yoho came after the congressman

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • Cellcard announces Cambodia’s first use of 5G to help Kingdom during Covid-19

    Cellcard on Friday announced Cambodia’s first use of 5G for a telemedicine service at four locations across Phnom Penh to help the Kingdom’s most critically ill during the Covid-19 outbreak. Cellcard, which is the only 100 per cent Cambodian-owned and "Proudly Khmer" mobile network