Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fishermen await repatriation

Fishermen await repatriation

Fishermen await repatriation

111222_05
Fishing boats docked at a port in southern Thailand, where trafficked Cambodian fishermen are frequently put on fishing trawlers. Reuters

A GROUP of six Cambodian men who were trafficked onto Thai fishing boats have been detained in Indonesia and are awaiting repatriation, Foreign Affairs spokesman Koy Kuong said yesterday.

Cambodian embassy officials in Indonesia had met with the men, who were being held on the island of Ambon, and assessed they were victims of human trafficking, Koy Kuong said.

“Now the Cambodian embassy in Jakarta is working closely with the concerned parties like the Indonesian authorities, the [International Organisation for Migration] and others to assist them to come back home as soon as possible,” he said.

On Tuesday, the news website antaranews reported that Ambon immigration office spokesman Enang Supriyadi had said the men had reluctantly handed themselves in to immigration officials on Saturday, after being dismissed from a Thai fishing boat several weeks prior.

The men were being held in a detention facility in Ambon City, because they did not possess legal immigration documents, antaranews reported Enang Supriyadi as saying.

Last month, 65 Cambodian men were rescued in Indonesia after reportedly suffering abuse as forced labourers on Thai fishing boats. All but five of the men have since been repatriated.

Yesterday, deputy director of the Interior Ministry’s anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection police department, Chiv Phally, said police had identified brokers responsible for trafficking some of the men.

“After investigating for a few weeks, we now know the identity of the brokers, but we cannot release [this information]. We’re afraid they will escape,” he said.

The remaining five Cambodian men who had yet to be repatriated will be brought home early next month, he said.

“IOM and Ministry of Foreign Affairs are preparing documents to facilitate [their] return. IOM told me that they are checking for money to pay for their return,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the