Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Five men make off with $100k after holding up capital’s RHB

Five men make off with $100k after holding up capital’s RHB

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Police tape cordons off the branch of RHB Indochina Bank that was robbed by five armed men in the capital on Thursday. Heng Chivoan

Five men make off with $100k after holding up capital’s RHB

Five armed men staged a daring daylight robbery and made off with $100,000 from RHB Indonchina Bank, located at Mao Tse Toung Boulevard on Thursday afternoon.

Although initial details remain sketchy, local media outlets said the gang took only 15 minutes to carry out the crime. Police have arrested one suspect so far.

The Ministry of Interior’s Penal Police Department chief Ngeng Chuo said police investigations are ongoing.

“It has been a few hours since the robbery, and police do not have enough information yet,” he said, declining to divulge further details.

A security guard deployed at the bank, who declined to be named, told The Post that the suspects entered the bank like any other customer.

“The incident occurred between 11:40 to 11:55 am. The police arrived after the robbery and checked the bank’s surveillance cameras which showed about five male robbers.

“They wore masks and gloves and were armed with two pistols. They pointed the pistols at the staff,” he said, based on the camera footage.

After ransacking the bank, the men were believed to have escaped on their motorcycles.

Police cordoned off the bank’s premises after the incident and security was tightened around the area. The bank’s operations were temporarily suspended as police carried out investigations.

A bank employee, who also declined to be named, said only private security personnel were guarding the bank and it was easy for anyone to break in.

“Armed guards should be hired to protect the bank but at the moment, only private security forces are doing the job,” said the staff.

A Chamkarmon district security guard told The Post that police forces from the ministry and Phnom Penh commissariat police arrived at the crime scene immediately after the robbery.

Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak and National Police spokesman Kirt Chanthearith could not be reached for comments.

Until press time, the authorities have not released any official statement. In an unrelated incident, in July, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court issued a warrant to temporarily detain eight men for using illegal weapons to guard several banks in the capital.

The suspects were sent to court after officials discovered they had disguised themselves as national police and army officers. Police confiscated 10 pistols from the suspects.

MOST VIEWED

  • Time to avert disastrous Covid situation: officials

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is heading towards further large-scale community transmission as the total number of confirmed cases is nearing 61,000 and the death toll passed 900 on July 10, senior health officials warned. Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine expressed concern that the country was going

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided